Can someone identify this wire? - Classic ZX - 2nd to 4th Generation - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Can someone identify this wire?

Featured Replies

I have a wire that is broken at the end. I comes from behind the coil, goes into a condenser as a blue wire, comes out as a black wire runs for about a foot and is broken. (looks like it has broken from some type of connector).

BTW, this is on a 1981 280ZX Turbo.

post-18629-14150806546713_thumb.jpg

post-18629-14150806547646_thumb.jpg

post-18629-14150806548322_thumb.jpg

post-18629-1415080654893_thumb.jpg

Moving thread from the S30 (240/260/280Z) forum to the ZX forum.

It looks like a noise suppressor to eliminate static on your radio from the ignition . But the pictures are not showing where the wire is coming from. Maybe someone with a ZX will jump in here.

Gary

The blue wire on the end of the conderser goes into a connector that comes out of the wrapped wires. The black wire from the other end of the condenser goes to a connector. From there it goes to a ground lug on the distributor mount. And Gary is right, it's a radio condenser.

Edited by sblake01

  • Author

Thanks guys, I'll look for that tonight. I am having trouble reving past about 1500 rpm and I thought that might be my trouble. I think my TPM is stuck on the idle side. I discovered it yesterday and it did not have a cover on it. It was really gunked up. I will try to clean it tonight and see if I can unstick it.

Would the TPM being stuck on the idle side make it not want to rev? Acts like it is not getting enough gas but the pressure check was spot on.

Thanks again for the replys.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
Would the TPM being stuck on the idle side make it not want to rev?
Yes it would.
  • Author

Well I took the TPS (not TPM) off last night. Not only was the contact stuck on idle, but the little grey wheel is supposed to have two tabs for the arm of the throttle to push it one way or the other. Both of these were broken off. I have ordered a new one. It should be in be the end of the week. Not only do I not have enough time to work on the car, anytime I order parts it takes at least 2 or 3 days to arrive. Life is good.

I knew what part you meant. More accurately, it would be a TVS as Nissan referred to them as the 'throttle valve switch'. I would have sent you one for postage as I have four of five in my parts stash. When you get it make sure you do the adjustment as per the FSM (pg EF-33) and that should solve your problem.

  • Author

When you get it make sure you do the adjustment as per the FSM (pg EF-33) and that should solve your problem.

Well, I installed the new "TVS" last night and all I can say is WOW!!! I finished about 9:30 and started it and then went for a test drive. It far exceeded my expectations. It was so quick it almost scared me...........almost!

I want to thank all of the people on this site that have helped me. Not just the ones who replied to my questions, but for all of the posts I have read that have helped me. Thanks.

Glad to help. That's an improtant piece on these engines. It affects the fuel mixture at idle, off idle, and wide open throttle for NT cars and idle and off idle on turbo cars.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.