IGNORED

Help me...My brake, dash, reverselights dont work!!

juniorzep

Hey guys im new to the Z Team. I inherited a 76 280z from my fatherinlaw. It was sitting for probably 6 years. I got it to run and drives like a dream. I always wanted a Z and what better than a classic. I have only one problem that is driving me nuts....http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/images/smilies/msn-style/angry_smile.gif The dash lights don't work. The back up lights don't work. The turn signals don't work. The glove box light don't work. The headlights do work thou. The hazards also work. I checked the bulbs and they all are fine. Hope you guys can help me. Thanks

I'm still kinda new to all of it too...but have you checked fuses? I know I kept having weird stuff go in and out of working with my gauges and such and it turned out to be issues with the fuse box.

My car isn't stock though, so I'm not completely positive where the fuse box is supposed to be located. A PO was an electrical engineer, so things are weird on mine.

Yea they seem to be working fine.. I also read in the forums that one should check the turn signal relays under driver dash.. anyone know how to test these?? Thanks too all, as yall can see im not all good with electrical stuff haha

You really need a wiring diagram and multimeter. I would begin with each item individually if the fuses are ok. Disconnect each wire from the easiest access point and clean all the connections. While you are at it disconnect the battery and clean the post and battery cables. Make everything as shiney as you can. You may have to put on new connectors, be sure to get a good crimping tool to make a good contact if you do this step.

I had horn problems over the weekend. I worked on the horns for 4 evenings, changed all the connectors, replaced the relay, and still did not work properly. At the last step I started the car, let the alternator "charge the battery with the correct amps" and my horns work great now - again, that was after 4 evenings of doing everything I could think of and using the search feature of this web site to see what everybody else had done with their horns.

These cars are getting age on their electrical connections. Again, the first thing I would do is to find all the connections with each item that is not working correctly and make the connections as shiney as possible. Once you know you have a good connectons put a multi-tester on it and see if you are making a connection with 12V. Somebody may have to activate a switch for you (ie brake light) to see if the voltage is getting to the tail-lights - that one could be a switch at the brake pedal

Good luck and be sure to use the search feature. I'm sure whatever issue you are having, odds are, it has already been discussed.

Good luck

The best bet is get a factory service manual it's hard to troubleshoot electrical issues without one. Don't forget to check all the fusible links under the hood on the right fenderwell. I had similar issues when restoring mine and found that a lot of contacts in switches and sockets just get oxidized over time not corroded just oxidized. The dash light may not work due to poor contacts in the multi function switch. If you are careful you can take it apart and clean them. Watch out you don't loose the small springs.

I have a 77 280 and am currently having all the same issues. you will definatly need a good wiring diagram. i resolved 2 of those problems so far. the reverse lights werent working because of a broken reverse light switch, and the blinkers werent working because the wires on my fusible link were real lose. hopfully those will be of some help. good luck.