IGNORED

Wanted 240k and 180b coupes

240kingdat

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

They are around you just need to look constantly. I managed to pick up 2 coupes in a short time. One I'm restoring to GTR spec, the other is just sitting there until I finish this project. I know of one in pretty bad shape that was available just recently, may still be.

thanks to both of you!

My current K is actually not too bad,(I got an album up with a few photos) it has some repairs that are easily seen, but I think it was a canberra car originally, so not many problems with rust or anything, but I am pretty keen to get another one, and i'll build a rotisserie and strip absoulutely everything off back to bare metal everywhere, and do a good ground up restoration.

I would like to do a GTR replica, seems like a bit of a problem sourcing all the various bits and pieces though (I have been keeping track of the threads about fenders, grill, etc) :)

The panel and paint side of it shouldn't be too bad, cause my housemate is a good spraypainter/panelbeater, and I am a boilermaker, so it's just getting the car, and then all the bits!

Also, for trivia's sake, once the fenders are installed, what are the specs of the watanabe's that are so popular in the land of the rising sun? eg. offset, width, rims size(height) etc? I quite like the way that they manage to get the tyres to stretch over the rims, looks like it only just manages to get to either edge of the wheel!

I'm sure most of the people reading this know there are some fine examples of KenMeri's etc on www.rockyauto.co.jp .you can use google language tools and translate the page and I was very keen on buying one of their fine cars and getting it back here, until I realised that it was about $130,000!!!

Anyway thanks for the help (and welcome message, Bruce!)

Danny.

Edited by 240kingdat

Danny,

Somewhere Alphadog printed the specs for the wheels. There was a discussion somewhere here. Have a poke around. Otherwise ask him directly (pm). In order to make them fit, you need to trim the metal guards down. Just remember if you are going to put bigger brakes on, them you need at least 15'' rims. Otherwise calipers tend not to fit. Especially on some rear disk conversions.

I have put bigger brakes on the 240k, It wears vz v8 commodore calipers on front, and 300zx rear discs and calipers. I have been using 4 sillouette spare wheels (steel chasers) that are 15"... so I guess 15 or 16inch watanabes? seems to be that all those pics of the sweet jap gtrs have 16's on them? rubber for 16's so much more expensive though... :(

I don't know the diameter of the discs off the top of my head, I can measure if you like,

I have machined mitsubishi turbo VR galant discs on one set of struts,

Calipers are a large twin piston, either VT or VZ (All basically the same through those models I'm told) which bolt straight onto 180b struts, don;t think I even needed to space them or anything, then just got discs to suit.

I bought a set of coilovers shortly after, which have the same calipers, but different discs, not sure what they are, very thick, vented, with half moon shaped dust removal grooves all over them (came with the new set of struts)

I am using 300zx booster and master, with the rear disc setup from the same, it pulls up very aggressivley, but I am having a little trouble bleeding the brake bias and hydraulic handbrake, so pedal is a fraction spongy...

Edited by 240kingdat

• 1 month later...