IGNORED

Maxima steering rack interchangable?

preith

Just thought I'd give the group a "heads up". I was browsing the Nissan Surplus OEM guy's ebay store and noticed he was selling manual Maxima steering racks complete with the outer tie rods for $100! He has 8 of them. Seems like a screaming deal, hopefully it can be used in the S30 cars, just going off my memory but it looks identical. If they are the same it's my guess they're of the same design as the later 74-78 racks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maxima-Steering-Gear-Linkage-OEM-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33589QQihZ014QQitemZ330210004813

My gut feeling tells me that they are not interchangable with the S30 units as they didn't come out until 81. The 810, forerunner to the Maxima, had power steering and I know that it's not interchangable with the Maxima or the S30. They mount in a different location and relationship to the suspension as they are made for the front sump cars.

Edited by sblake01

The unit pictured is the manual Maxima (910) rack. The Maxima had both manual and power racks.

Stephen is correct; they will not work on the early Z cars (S30). They are more similar to the 280ZX (S130) manual rack except that the spacing between the mounting location is different. I know this because I have one in my junk parts room.