Weird Idling Problem - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Weird Idling Problem

Featured Replies

I recently set the idle to exactly 1,000rpm on my 240z. When I'm driving the car the idle almost never comes back down to 1,000rpm when I come to a stop. I have to tap the gas pedal and let my foot off of it in order for the idle to come back down to 1,000rpm. If I don't tap the gas pedal the idle returns to about 1100rpm. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

I've seen similar where because of worn throttle shafts, over-size return springs have been installed to get things to idle down. What, in fact, happens is the too heavy return springs will pull the shafts into a bind thus requireing the "tap'.............

  • Author

So what parts do I need to buy and where can I get them at?

Mine was acting up after sitting for 26 years. I removed, cleaned and greased every ball and socket joint from the foot feed to the carb connecting shaft. So much smoother now.

Bonzi Lon

So what parts do I need to buy and where can I get them at?
I believe that worn throttle shafts require machine work. Might be time to contact Bruce about his product if that's the case.
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.