IGNORED

I really want to buy this

mikewags

I'm in the process of finding out more about it (general condition of engine, paint, body) - but it looks pretty good for how old it is. The ad mentions the engine was replaced with the last owner.

Do any of you guys have experience with these trucks? (Datsun 1600 lil' hustler) Any input?

1973Datsun16007721.jpg

Had one exactly like it. A 1973 which was the only 620 with an L16. Mine was a 4 speed. I think that was the only trans available in 73. Five speeds, automatics, L18s and L20Bs came later. Good running truck. Drove it for years back in the 70s with no major problems that I can recall and sold it for what I paid for it ($1500). By today's standards, if that one runs at all, it's a great deal. (Looking for a picture of the one I owned)......

The only picture I could find of it was this one with my 73 620 in the carport in front of my 1600 Roadster. I did find another one but the truck was obscured by a Pinto(!) I once owned.

2u8ckyh.jpg

Edited by sblake01

Nice Roadster...What happened to that thing???

The guy says it runs great, he's been using it for the past month with no problems. The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago from the bottom up, and it's got about 60k miles on it. The carb was also rebuilt recently and there are 2 new tires on it...All in all its supposed to be in good condition.

I will get some additional photos of the truck tomorrow AM (which in when i will upload them for you to check out) The truck is like 7 hours away from me, so that's another issue - but I guess if it looks good enough, i might consider going and picking it up...This is of course after I try to make a deal.

We'll see - if it does turn out to be worth it, i'm still worried about the idea of getting the car back without spending a fortune...

Edited by mikewags

The only picture I could find of it was this one with my 73 620 in the carport in front of my 1600 Roadster. I did find another one but the truck was obscured by a Pinto...

:eek:

Stephen...Pinto.....Pintohno! Say it aint so!

Then again...Bambikiller240Z did confess to keeping(hiding?) a pinto in his garage....so you were in good company...

Mike, did you ask to see if anyone was closer to check it out for you?

Will

Nice Roadster...What happened to that thing???
I sold it in 1997. At the time I had a 510, a 200SX, the truck (same one), and I was in the process of buying the Z I have now, selling the roadster, 200SX, Kawasaki Mach 3, Suzuki RM490, moving, and getting married. Edited by sblake01

I have a 77 620 it's a great little truck, good for junk yard runs and small dump runs. A few things to understand the 620's had 4 wheel drums untill 78 and with a 1.6 ltr hill climbing with any load sucks. might as wheel get out and push the truck. My 77 has a lb20 and front & back disk brakes, you might want to look at ratson.com.

a few suggestions disc brakes upfront, a zx 5 speed tranny and find a l20b when it's time to rebuild the l16. The price is right judging by the pictures.

rex

Here are some photos.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/mikewags/Datsun%20Truck/

Def. not the best quality. The truck seems to be in overall generally decent condition, although some of the rust is worrysome. Also some of the bed photos show what appears to be surface rust.

Then again what can you expect from a 73' pickup.

At this point, i will see if he can send me some clearer photos of the rest of the truck/interior and if the price is firm.

I'd like to be able to work on the truck, but i don't want to address things like major rust or repaint anytime soon.

I'd want to see it in person and drive it but if it runs as good as he says you can't go wrong for that price. It would make a good work truck just as it is. Disc brakes a larger engine etc. are nice but just as it sits it would make a good work truck.

For Will:

My Pinto had a Racer Brown camshaft, twin sidedraft Delortos, head work, a light flywheel, etc. It screamed! Unfortunately it didn't hande a well as it ran as the guy that bought it from me wrapped it around a telephone pole in the hills above Pomona, Ca. and still walks with a limp to this day.....

Well the goal would be to slowly work on the truck and eliminate any surface rust and generally tune it up. I don't need a truck for work, although I've always wanted one for when i need to move things here and there. Pickups are very useful at times.

If he sends a few more good photos over and is reasonable on the price, i might make plans to go see it.