IGNORED

Series 1 Engine Paint Plan - Details Please

JohnnyO

The bell housing cover plate, or as I call it 'end plate", is steel and is plated. I think silver zink however I see them in light gold cad.

Yes, you are correct. Even the "NOS" ones you see on ebay are a silver zinc. Mine needs replacing and has overspray on it so it looks like stamped aluminum to me. Corrected above.

I agree with Dan in that 'satin black' could be 'semi-gloss'. The old paint I look at on my parts has some sheen to it. That could be the age as well as the scrubbing to get the part clean. I went with semi-gloss.

Some paint people have told me that, depending on the brand, they are virtually identical. I agree with you the semi-gloss is a little shinier. Perhaps someone could chime in if they have something old that's in virtually new shape to compare it to.

My alternator pulleys are black with the light gold cad fan. The shop manual shows it that way even though it is a B&W photo. The pulley is solid black in the exploded diagram also. FWIW

I have a replacement alternator right now (not a grapefruit) and it is obviously not correct. Changes have been made above.

Original cad plating, as we call it gold cad, isn't very gold and isn't a consistant color. I have seen restored stuff that is jewlery-store gold in color and that's not completely correct. Have a look at the pulley bolt picture I posted. It almost looks silver.

I do not care for the look of "jewelry store gold". I actually prefer the clean look of a freshly glass bead blasted bolt but we all know that is not correct.

Thanks for the input.

• 7 years later...
On 2009-01-04 at 2:00 AM, AZ-240z said:

Thanks, Mike. That is my point of confusion. I have two alternators with the following engraved in the housing.

# 1. LT140-53 104 (Not LT145-35 as Kats references)

23100 A4800

# 2. LT145-35B105

23100-E5200

But my FSM engine book on page EE-20 says the Hitachi LT145-35 is for an

L24 engine with an output of 12V-45A, and the Hitchi LT 140-53 is for an L20A engine with an output of 12V-40A.

Both of these grapefruit alternators appear to be identical in appearance, otherwise. Our parts CD shows the original alternator is 23100 A4800 with an output of 12V-40A.

When the weather warms and you get into cleaning under the hood, you may hold the definitive answer as to what is correct.

Thanks, Mike.

Dan

I needed an Alternator for 249 and found this in my parts heap:

LT140-53 012 23100 A4800.jpg

Alternator Grapefruit 1.jpg

Alternator Grapefruit 2.jpg

Alternator Grapefruit 3.jpg

Alternator Grapefruit 4.jpg

Alternator Grapefruit 5.jpg