81 280zx 5 speed transmission - capacity? - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

81 280zx 5 speed transmission - capacity?

Featured Replies

Ok, I searched through the archives and only found "fill until pours out fill hole" as a definite answer. I drained my tranny and will be refilling with new fluid. Will 2 quarts (about 1.9 liters) be enough, or should I get a 3rd quart? Thought that it takes 2 liters from what I read, but not sure. On my way to Napa for Royal Purple, which isn't cheap, and want to get the right amount.

Thanks!

Oil capacity: -

4 speed, 3 5/8pt [1.7L]

5 speed 4 1/4pt [2L]

Reference: Haynes Datsun 280ZX Owners Workshop Manual.

Same from the 1981 280ZX Factory Service Manual, 2.0 Liter-4 1/4 pt. 5 speed only-no 4 speed in 81.

  • Author

Thanks, guys, guess I need the 3rd quart for that .1 liter!!

I don't know, .1 liter is what, 3 oz? That much probably clings to the gears, etc. even when you drain it. Two quarts should be fine.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Thanks, Stephen, may try that ...

I agree with Stephen. That spec in the manuals is for a dry gearbox after a rebuild. No way you're going to get all of the oil out, so you won't likely need the full amount for the refill.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.