'78 280z only starts with starter fluid - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

'78 280z only starts with starter fluid

Featured Replies

Hello!

I am working on a '78 280z that my grandmother is selling. Currently it will start, run, and drive just fine, but only if I take a vacuum line off and put some gas in the manifold. Otherwise it just cranks. It's a fuel injected car.

Anything that will point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. As I said, It's Granny's car, so I'm not very familiar with it (even though I love Z's).

Thanks!

It could be losing fuel pressure due to a stuck injector or bad check valve. Will it restart once shut off while warm? When it does run, does it continue to run for long periods of time, or slowly run poorly and then die? We need more info.

It could also be the cold start valve. Might wanna check that out.

After you get it started, assuming that it runs properly at that point, and you get it up to operating temperature and turn it off, will it start again on it's own? If not you've got more issues than just a cold start valve. Like Jeff said, more info is needed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.