auto to five speed in a 73' 240 - Parts Swapping - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

auto to five speed in a 73' 240

Featured Replies

has anyone succesfully swapped a auto with five speed in a 240. if so, i'de like to know what year transmission would work, and everything i will need to get from the manual car. Also any links would be nice.

Thanks, doug

  • 1 year later...

Doug, I think you can use any 5 speed thru 83, you need the trans, mount, pedal, new holes in your firewall and all the linkage, and backup light stuff, there's an article about where the shifter comes out on this site, but I believe if you use a Z trans as opposed to a 510 it will line right up. I think I have all that stuff at my wrecking yard by the way.

  • 6 months later...

Doug, I asked the same question a few months back. Ken laid out the part you need. I was told that the 5sp from the early 280's (up thru '78) had gearing that matched up better with the early 240s for what that's worth. I was also told that most 5sp trannys need to be checked out before installing them. Apparently, folks drive around in 5th gear and blow out some important bushings or bearings. Now a used 4speeds is reportedly less prone to this damage. Food for thought. Good luck partner!

  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Doug , if you do the swap I am looking for a flexplate with a good ring gear . If you have one for sale let me know. Thanks Gary

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.