IGNORED

I want to buy a 240z...what should I look for?

Guest atanaka

Guest atanaka

I am in the market to purchase a 240Z...can anyone suggest which year I should look for?

Is there any year that was better? It appears that rust is the major issue regarding these cars. Any suggestions would be appreciated...and if anyone knows of a good solid 240Z close to Vancouver, Canada area, please let me know. Thanks a bunch!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Atanaka,

I have 2 240z both 1973 models I have driven earlier ones but found 72-73 ones to be the best (personal opinion).Rust is a big problem, areas to check are: rear wheel arches,door sills floors along both chassis rails,under front wings, along air tubes and front pillars round the rear panel,no area is really free from the dreaded tin worm so check carfully for bad repairs,always look at the car in daylight and if possible get a friend with a good idea of what to look for, to go with you.

These cars are great fun to drive, I hope you find a good one.

[This message has been edited by Zed2k (edited 11-21-2000).]

• 1 month later...

atanaka

If you are a true 240Z afficionado, you want to concentrate on the '72 model.

1973 put the first polution control on the car and shot down its performance. 1974 increased the horsepower to compensate, and then came the abomination of the 260z to overcome all of the above plus the A/C and power options.

I would suggest the 1971 - 72 models if you can. The side updraft carbs are efficient and somewhat easy to balance.

I bought a 73 model and put in a 72 engine and carbs. Much more horsepower.... help me folks, but something like 155 BHP on a stock 6-cylinder engine. Go for the '72 if you can get her.

atanaka

Sorry not to tell you about the other part of your question: Rust will begin in the lower left side of the glass of the rear hatchback .... universally. It seems that the drain is less than perfect back there. It is really a cancer that needs treatment as soon as you identify it.

I live in Florida, and the other rust-points did not come into play except the lower rear hatch. Don't know why, but would like to hear other other ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are still looking for a 240Z close to Vancouver, Canada, I have a 1971 240Z for sale. The body is fairly good, but the engine needs to be rebuilt. The car is in Chilliwack, and you can email me at zanezoe@home.com if you would like to get more information.