IGNORED

What the heck is THIS?

aronlove

Ok check this out: I found a couple things on my '78 280z which I have no idea what they are. I know, I know, I probably haven't read the FSM all the way through - but hey-- being the lazy guy I am, I thought I'd avail myself to everyone's help on the forum.

Does anyone know what these things are? First pic shows the fusible links - but what are those vacuum-solenoid looking things to the left of them? And why aren't they hooked up!!!

The other pic shows the ignition coil. Is this some sort of capacitor? If so, should it be plugged in to something? If yes, to what?

Thanks for all the help!

-Aaron

post-18042-14150805063936_thumb.jpg

post-18042-14150805064706_thumb.jpg

Picture one: Those are magnet valves for the fast idle control device for the air conditioning and the mode door actuators, etc.

Picture two: That's the condenser. The wire you're holding in your hand plugs into a wire that plugs into a ground at the base of the distributor mount.

Edited by sblake01

As always, Stephen knows everything! :laugh:

Thanks man!

BTW, would these magnet valves not being hooked up to vacuum cause any problem with engine performance? Currently the a/c compressor is not even belted - ?

--Aaron

Edited by aronlove
clarification

There would be a vacuum leak unless the previous owner plugged the source at the intake manifold. The magnet valves also operate the air intake doors for the heater and defroster.

So that might explain why I don't have heat when I turn the blower motor on?

I noticed that there seems to be a "check valve" on the bottom. Is there a diagram that shows how the vacuum is routed to this? - oops nevermind

found it at AC-6 in FSM.

-Aaron