IGNORED

webers vs roundtops

madsoul

I have a 73 240 and I think that its probobly time to rebuild my carbs. Every one I talk to seems to have an intense dislike for the flat top carbs. So I'm thinking that I might just want to pick up a nice set of used carbs. Either 71's or maybe some double webers seem to be more readily available although they are also a little more expensive. What do you guys think about the cost vs performace of these two systems. Or which set do you think that Ill prefer. I have helped to install 71's and that seemed to be fairly easy. How much more complicated are the weber 32/36s to install?

Any thoughts or theroys are much appreciated,

madsoul

On a stock engine, (like I have) the webers do not add much performance increase. I like them better than the su's in some ways.. If you get the webers, get the triple setup. It just makes more sence, but the cost is considerably more.... You can occasionally find a used set for a reasonable price. That is how I got mine. If you start to modify your engine, (Like I plan to do) then the Webers will make considerable performance gains. For a stock engine the SU's are fine..

dont get them. there a good carb but if you ever plan to build your engine you wont be happy. they tend to float out a lot at 5500 rpms and leave your engine starving for fuel

also the duals are a downdraft design. not side draft as was made for the car

if your going to build an engine i wouldnt go with dual webers

either su's or trips if your staying carbed

Look at the path that the air need to take to reach the head, and then look at the airpath for SUs. Afterwards I don't think you will think that downdrafts are a good option. SUs are cheaper and perform better on a stock or mildly modified engine.

The triples is what I have.... I cannot imagine why anyone would but the double setup. It just does't look right.. Sort of like a performance down grade... But like I said I never had any so I don;t know.. The triples do work very well, they just take a bit of learning to get used to the setup. I currently have one of the older sets, they have a pronounced flat spot when transitioning from the primaries to the mains, but driving technique takes care of most of that... I suspect that I will eventually improve that some, butif not , I can live with it. The throttle responce, and full throttle sound, and feel of the triples is fantastic.