IGNORED

280z Dual Exhaust?

mikewags

Seperate with one on each side, Ansas or Monzas would look fine. But stacked together or side by side on the same side of the car would look strange to me. Besides, these are single bank engines. I'm not sure that dual exhaust would be good for anything other than asthetics.

Edited by sblake01

A few modifications are in order if you are using the Ansa tips. Not to say it can't be done or that it would offend too many people here.LOL

I am not a purist by any means but do appreciate those who are and also appreciate well done modifications. I am staying a little closer to an original outward appearance, so will be using a set of NOS stacked megaphones that can be swapped out quickly for the stock twice pipe muffler.

Here are those example pics and one suggestion for a 2 in 2 out muffler that I am planning on using along with my stackable megaphones.

Wouldn't dual exhaust (6 - 2 header) let the exhaust flow more freely and improve in getting past any backflow?

Basically giving each 3 chambers it's own exhaust rather than all of them tied up into one.

Here are the ANSA tips - they are basically just dual-tipped (as they stem off of the 1 pipe).

c805_1.JPG

Inlet: 2 1/4"

Length : 10 1/4"

Chrome Length: 6 1/4"

Outlet: 2 5/8"

Interior Baffels: 1 3/8"

Edited by mikewags

Your 2 1/4" inlets are the limiting factor. In my opinion a dual 2 1/4" system is overkill anyhow. There will not be a backpressure problem. More likely a quench deficiency because of an oversized system. I think it will be fine though, just a tricky installation.

Quench deficiency?

I don't HAVE to go with this setup, especially if it will pose any problems down the road...

What do you think?

Didn't mean to scare you, bad choice of words. What I am trying to convey is the loss of maximum velocity of the exhaust because of an oversized system. There are so many factors and combinations of engine builds that would determine this, so it is a matter of following the lead of what has worked for someone else or blaze a new trail and hope for the best. I don't think I have ever seen dual Ansa tips mounted on both sides of a Z before and it would be interesting to hear them. Might sound pretty sweet. Problem is, routing the pipe to the right side, without any interference.

I appreciate all the advice you guys have given. I will weigh my options, and see what is possible. I originally bought the pair of ANSA tips; just to swap one of them out for the current tip i have; although I started thinking about getting a real dual exhaust setup going, instead of just a tip that gives the "appearance" of dual exhaust.

If I end up just swapping the tip and scrapping the dual idea --- well, it won't be that bad considering what I have on there now should probably GO.

Considering I decide to go dual exhaust, maybe selling these tips and going with one actual dual tip (2xinlets) might be a better idea. I would like to be able to route the exhaust down the right side, but if this is impossible; then having it dual on that one left side would be adequate (i just don't think 4 outlets on the back left side (2x Ansas) would look very good).

Thanks again!

Edited by mikewags