IGNORED

Fuel Leak from injectors

TheGrimaceTab

hey i just purchased a 1979 280zx the cars starts but leaks fuel from the injectors. I have purchased a new set from ebay. i was wondering if anyone has any tips, dos and donts to remove them and reinstall them, also i will probally need to buy new screws/clamps/gaskets i assume... i am new to this z thing so if i seem ignorant or something please ignore it. also is it worth it to have my old injectors sent out to refurbished? (to have a extra set) thanks alot

When you say "leaks fuel from the injectors" do you mean that the hoses leak, in which case you could simply replace the hoses, or that the injectors leak fuel into the cylinders? You've already purchased new ones so I guess none of that matters now. Two things happen with old injectors. Either the coil insde them burns out, in which case I wouldn't bother with them, or the nozzle gets clogged causing them to stick. If they stick open, they leak into the cylinder and if they stick closed they don't inject fuel. As long as the coil is good, I use my pressurized cleaner and a tester I made to pulse the injector while I run the cleaning solution through it. Once it's clean and the nozzle properly opens and closes, I replace the pintle cap, the small and large seals on the bottom and the hose. Basically, that's what a shop does to 'refurbish' them and they charge more than I think that job is worth. If you send them to a shop that actually disassembles them, replaces the coil (if necessary) etc. and reassembles them, the labor alone would make that type of rebuild cost more than buying a replacement injector. As far as removing them, I remove them with the fuel rail so that you're actually pulling all six of them at once. That's the easiest way. Be careful with the screws that hold each injector in place as the heads on them strip easily. I replace those screws with allen head screws for future dissassembly. The clamps can be reused if they are in good shape but I'd use new seals and of course new hoses. Hopefully all of that stuff will come with your 'new' injectors.

its not leaking from the hoses it is dripping out from the top and the sides of the injectors/ top part fuel rail. the fuel rail was taken off once before i believe someone cut it to get if off easyer... i was told that the injectors would need to be replaced, so i got new ones they say they are new i really hope they are not refurbished i will replace all the hoses and seals, i am not a expert mechanic or anything so i might be wrong about some things,,, but i will put the new ones in when they arrive and see if it stops the fuel from leaking, (dripping) im not sure what the round thing on top of the fuel rail is but it seems the fuel also drips from there, i could maybe take a video of whats going on with my phone, and post it and you all could give me better advice? i am not 100% sure but im pritty sure the injectors are bad. thanks for the help also i am going to need advice after this about changing the core seal on the clutch and bleeding i think thats whats wrong with my clutch,,, ahhh but thats the next thing to do.

wow i am so amazed with the amount of support from you guys... I do not have the car where i live, so ill drive out, maybe tomorrow, to take some pics of it.(i probably need to move so be able to have it where i live, my family is discouraging me to fix it, and keep it where im living now, they say there is no room (but there really is) they just think it will be a eye sore or somthing, how vain; sorry it just bugs me) I am warning you guys its kind of a junker, heh. But that's why i bought it gunna make her so pretty! (gunna try to go for all original, no crazy body kits or crazyness... just a almost classic z) i was suprized to find out that nc law (i just moved out here) its 35 years for a antique car, i come from mass and its less, i think its 30 y/o there. it would have been nice to be able to get antique tags...

Edited by TheGrimaceTab

• 4 months later...

Just reading all the information given to The Grimace Tab and I am wondering about where it would be good to send older injectors to have them refurbished. I was told Mr. Injector was good and what about price. Anyone want to comment on what might be a fair price. Thanks, CW