IGNORED

Ordering paint by the paint code

TomoHawk

It is my baby :) She is a screamer.

I would love to see more pix of your car. I tried to click on your gallery but there are none. Maybe you could add some. If not, I will PM you with my e-mail. I am thinking since my dad (diseazd) has a lime, white and safari gold car then I need to go with a different color when I get mine. Orange or red perhaps.

You need to come to Richmond/VA Beach next time we have the Z shows since your in VA

And sorry to the OP for thread-jacking

Still working on the car and haven't taken any photos yet. Will try to get some more taken and put in a gallery something in the future. May take you up on the Z-event, I also have a 82 ZX which is my daily driver. Let me know when you have some events.

Tom

I am amazed at the amount of information this site provides. As I move forward with my restoration you guys (and gals if appropriate) bring more "issues" to light than I could have imagined. I am quickly learning that when restoring a 40 year old car that isn't branded Chevy or Ford you run into challenges every step of the way from finding the correct paint color to getting performance tires for a 4.5" rim not to mention getting period correct parts.

Thank you all for all your contributions. I hope to be able to help out someday too, until then, I will learn from the masters.

• 2 weeks later...

I walked into a Carquest last week and asked them for PPG in Datsun 920 and the guy whipped up a small can for me to sample in about 5 minutes. The sample matched pretty good under my hatch carpet but was a little "browner". All in all I'd have to say it was a good match considering the car is 40 years old.

I used the new PPG concepts single-stage paint on my 240z. It was different than the previous TYPE/ERA of PPG used by me and more importantly, the experienced painter I've been working with and learning from.

Used PPG on the last car we painted, too. That's my personal, direct experience. His is approaching 2 decade working with PPG.

I ran the Datsun paint code and had Mexican Orange made up for my 240z. It was not a perfect match to some faded parts on the car, but was indisinquishable in other areas. Funny part was, you didn't notice the fade on the original paint!

Anyway, this paint is truly spectacular to work with. I agree with the "you get what you pay for". But paying for it is PAINFUL. Definitly towards $400 per gallon (including hardner and reducer). Whether or not it's "better enough" than cheaper stuff to justify the cost is difficult to say.

If you can work with a PPG shop, the Omni paint line (by PPG) is very good. I've done a few other projects with it and it works very well. We both commented that it seems very much like the PPG, right down to the smell! (I've used a few other brands lately, and the smells are all distinctly different!

For what it's worth!

I have also used Omni on a number of projects. It is decent, but I have found that with PPG and a good gun I don't need to wetsand. With Omni, wetsanding is necessary. I don't ever use Omni for my own stuff but I do on friends cars trying to save money. That being said, when it comes to paint.... I would always pay double for materials as I have heard Omni will last half as long as PPG under the elements.

I can definitely tell the difference b/t the two. PPG is much better at color matching.

I recently painted bumpers for a friend where he was on a budget. We couldn't do it with PPG so we used Omni for the base and PPG for the clear which came out pretty nice. Omni does pretty well with single stage too.

And to BR-Z.... I also love the smell of PPG :)