Z dies after starting? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Z dies after starting?

Featured Replies

I got a 76' 280., ran out of gas (my son). Car was running perfect prior. Now, it will start and run for a minute or so, then backfires and dies. I'm thinking we got a bunch of crud from the gas tank in the fuel filter or something or maybe clogged the fuel filter. Any ideas?

I'm a neophyte at working on cars, so any help will be appreciated.

for starters...(you said it yourself). change the fuel filter/s.

I'm a neophyte at working on cars...

Well I guess that's better than being a proselyte:ermm:

If you can, I suggest removing the drain plug from the tank and using some fresh gas, give it a flush out.

You will probably need to back flush the fuel lines as well.

You can use compressed air to do that, blow them out from the engine end.

Then of course the float chambers [if applicable] will need to be checked too:paranoid:

Edited by Nissanman

After doing what was mentioned above here's another thought should it continue to give trouble.

You can kill an electric pump by running it dry. Find a way to check the fuel pressure while it's running. Consult a HAynes manual or do a search on the site to find out where to hook up a guage and what pressures it should be running at. It could be a $180 lesson. (Hopefully not) Is the electric pump noisier than normal? Listen for it when you turn the ignition on but haven't cranked yet.

Sblake is good with 280's. Perhaps he will chime in.

  • Author

Well, I changed the fuel filter and flushed out the filter in the fuel pump. It now runs like a top.

Thanks

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.