IGNORED

help with vin-id

realoldrocks

Hello, I just purchased a nice 1979 280zx, car is equipped with AC,PS, and is 5-speed manual. According to manual the letters H-L-F-B-C should be in VIN. VIN shows H s130 and only numbers following,all VIN locations match. Can anyone explain this oddity?

You're confusing the model variation with the car serial number. They really didn't become what is referred to as a VIN (17 digit) until 1982 though many of us use the term. At that point, all the letters and numbers applicable would be stamped on the car. (ex.: JN1HZ04S2DXXXXXXX). All you're going to see in the number on a 79 is HS130-XXXXXX or HGS130-XXXXXX is it's a 2+2.

Hi Stephen:

I started selling cars in 1962 - and we called them VIN's then. If anything the Federal Requirement to standardize the information and the order in which it is presented - might be called a Federal VIN.

Prior to the Federal Standard - the Vehicle Identification Number on our Z's consisted of two parts. The first part defines the Model and the second Part is the chassis serial number.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks for the clarification, the manuals I have are the haynes 79-83, and the factory service manual for 79 only. The factory manual has the same code letters as haynes, but also shows the hs130 and hgs130 as id plate and serial # plate just as you indicated. I am trying to find if I have the grand luxury model or deluxe?

Do you have the headlight washers in the sugar scoops? Leather or cloth interior? Also, out of curiosity, what is your build date?

If you provide the build date and model number in your signature or under your username (modified through your user control panel), we will be able to help you in a more efficient manner in the future.

btw, welcome to the site and congrats on the Z!

Thanks ZBANE, have added info on car in my profile. No headlamp washers, clothe and vinyl seats. Original air filter has been replaced with K+N; dome lite is not working (defective switch). The battery level warning display is on,wire has been cut, and sealed battery installed. Any suggestions for neutralizing the red warning display from battery? I had a 1982zx in the 90's, car had 100k+ and was pretty hammered, after alot of suspension work and efi-fuel maintainance I decided to get rid of it and look for something that had been treated better; this is definately the car I've been looking for! I'll post pictures if anyone is interested and I can figure out how; thanks to all of you for the help!