IGNORED

Transmission upgrade

swilliams2

I have a 1982 280ZX with an automatic trans. I'm pulling 3500rpms just going 65mph so I want to upgrade to another automatic trans with a different gear ratio but I'm not sure what will mount up to this car. I want better performance and gas mileage!!! So if anyone knows or has tried this please let me know!

I was told about a converstion of an 83 Maxima automatic with overdrive that will work great. Most likely you will need to have custom drive shaft made. The overdrive should help in the gas savings you are looking for. Unlike others I understand sometimes people have "their" reasons for needing to drive an automatic and I respect that. Now try to find an 83 Maxima....I had lined up but had to let it go because I had no where to put it at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
theres no such thing as a high performance car that gets good gas milage, gotta comprimise somewhere

Not true. I am putting down over 360 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels yet get 30 mpg when cruising on the highway. The new Corvettes are capable of the same.

My 5th gear OD is 0.76 and I am running 3.70 LSD in the rear with wheels/tires that are 3/4-in. taller than stock.

I am spinning 2500 rpms at 65 mph and 80 mph at 3000 rpms.

The z31 4 spd auto is electronic, the maxima trannies are the dumb ones which can be used for the swap in the 280zx.

If you're looking for a complete bolt on no mods required for anything then you will never find it.

The maxima OD auto going into a 280zx will require some fabrication, brackets for the new tranny mount, cutting of the old tunnel mounts, new exhaust, minor wiring. Lasst but not least, you will want to rebuild the tranny before putting it in so you know you have a good transmission.