AFM to Throttle Body boot! - Fuel Injection - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

AFM to Throttle Body boot!

Featured Replies

I noticed that the boot between my AFM and throttle body didn't have a clamp on it and seemed to be wrapped in electrical tape. So me being curious decided that i would inspect it and use this as an opportunity to clean my AFM and throttle body a bit. Well the electrical tape was what was holding the boot together!!! I was like WTF!!! It was broken in half and put back together with electrical tape!!! Well since i didn't have a spare boot I just put it back together with more tape until I get a new one.

But now i'm having some issues.

1. First time I started it up it was revving really high and would raise RPM when I would put the clutch in and would stay at 3000 RPM. I'm guessing it was the throttle linkage getting stuck and not returning all the way because that seems to have gone away.

2. After the Idle problem dissappeared I reved the engine a couple times and it died. Turned it back on and reved it again pretty hard and it died again. If I just turn it on and just drive normal it will run fine. But if I punch it or rev it a couple times it will die.

I'm thinking that I didn't do as good a job as the PO in taping the AFM boot. Would a leak cause the car to shut off under load? I've read that it definatel will cause strange problems.

Also where would be a good place to get a replacement?

  • Author

Another question...Whats the difference in the 75-77 and 77-78 AFM boot?? I have a 75 280z, but I'm pretty sure its a 77 or 78 engine.

A leak in that boot would cause problems because it's a vacuum leak. I think the main difference between the 75 and the 76/78 is in where the hose from the air regulator connects to it. IIRC, the 75 doesn't have that opening on top for the air reg. hose. Take a look at the pictures in post #3 in this thread.

  • Author

Mine doesn't have that plug in it. So should I order a 75 boot or a 78 boot? I've seen some on ebay and some look shorter than mine. And The Z store doesn't have pictures.

The original 75 boot is the one that doesn't have the plug. 16578-N4200 is the part number if you want to check with Nissan.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Yep. Considering the guys I deal with occasionally at the local dealerhip, I'd print that frist picture out and take it with me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.