IGNORED

Ignition distributor / coils swap

blaiz

Hello,

Has anybody heared about this sort of thing, were each spark is controlled seperatly?

Were can I find something like this? Is it really better than usual distributor?

(Excuse for the mistakes... I'm french)

post-16375-14150802811835_thumb.jpg

Hi Blaize, This is the way many modern cars operate. Instead of a single coil, a coil pak or multicoil is controled by an engine control module which in turn gets it's information from a cam and crank sensor. The cam and crank sensors are generally what we call "Halls effect" sensors which actually generate a small electrical current when a series of notches or empty spaces on the cam or crank pass the magnet on the sensor. This tells the engine controller the exact position and speed of both the cam and crank and the engine controller in turn tells the individual coils in the coil pak when to fire. This is only a small part of a modern engine management system that allows the elimination of the distributor. That's just the basic principal involved, if you want to know more try doing a "Search". Is it better? Yes, but that is not why I have a Z.

There are a couple that I know of. Makes a truly clean installation. Wolf is one brand , and I cannot think of the name of the other one. One of the two will also manage the injection system and the other is better for a Carburated engine. Contact Paul Rushman at braapz350@hotmail.com He is a engine builder and I have seen both of these on Z engines he has built. They look like the best way to go ,but like many things. They are not cheep. Gary