Vacuum Advance response on Dizzy - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Vacuum Advance response on Dizzy

Featured Replies

When I rebuilt the distributor on my 280Z, I noticed that the vacuum advance didn't move to easily when you put suction to it. It moved very slowly and required a lot of suction to get it to move.

Is that correct? I expect it to move more easily, to match engine revving for times when you need more power instantly.

thxZ

What exactly did you re-build?

I have found that many distributors have got square ball bearings under the vacuum advance plate when they should be round.

The entire assembly needs to be dismantled, cleaned, re-greased and perhaps you need new balls as wellLOL

Once all this is done, the plate should react well to mouth suction on the vacuum motor, hence the expression, "Suck it and see":nervous:

Just be careful when you remove the circlip underneath the points plate, bits will go everywhere if you aren't ready for it:tapemouth

The vacuum motor may also be leaky so bear that in mind.

No points but the statement still applies. Did you check the ball bearings? They don't necessisarily become square but they do develop flat spots. I use a vacuum gun to check mine. That way, not only can I check the movement but also if it holds vacuum.

  • Author

I put in new bearings & bearing plate, new vacuum pod, new inductor and new sensor. Just about everything, but the mechanical weights. I just don't have the electronic thing to adjust the sensor.

When you say 'sensor' do you mean pick-up coil? All you need to adjust the gap there is a non magnetic feeler guage

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.