IGNORED

Western Wheels

Vintage

I am sure that someone would want them. I still run 14" Westerns on my car but am going to change to 15" or 16" tires and wheels soon. Lots of guys I know have done the same. Just so many more options in the bigger sizes. Both in tires and wheels. Just my opinion though.

The Western Bullet was made from the late '70s through the mid-80s. It was not highly polished, but came machine-finished. It included a chrome metal domed hubcap. It not all that popular in the narrow four bolt sizes, but was often seen on 1/2 ton pickups and full-size vans in 15x8.5 and 15x10 sizes.

A quick search of my magazine archives didn't turn up a picture of the RWD version, but here's a shot from a 1981 ad of the FWD version on a Scirocco. It does give a good picture of the proper style center cap.

post-8596-14150802046659_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Have to say I never seen that Goodyear Wingfoot either.

The Western Bullet was made from the late '70s through the mid-80s. It was not highly polished, but came machine-finished. It included a chrome metal domed hubcap. It not all that popular in the narrow four bolt sizes, but was often seen on 1/2 ton pickups and full-size vans in 15x8.5 and 15x10 sizes.

A quick search of my magazine archives didn't turn up a picture of the RWD version, but here's a shot from a 1981 ad of the FWD version on a Scirocco. It does give a good picture of the proper style center cap.

Have to say I never seen that Goodyear Wingfoot either.
Undoubtedly a 205/60R13 Wingfoot. The original Goodyear Wingfoot was a Americanized version of the European Goodyear NCT (Neutral Contour Tire). The NCT was steel belted, the Wingfoot was Aramid (aka Kevlar) belted. Both shared the same tread design. The NCT was blackwall only, but the Wingfoots all had the narrow white pinstripe and lettering as shown. Most Wingfoot buyers couldn't handle the white stripe on performance tire, and had them mounted black side out. The Wingfoot was a good performing tire, as American-made tires went, but the NCT (which was OE on Porsche and others) was still better. The Wingfoot was eventually replaced in the US by the Eagle GT.