IGNORED

Honda Wiper Motor Upgrade for the 240Z

I found a circuit online and it wasn't hard to build...a couple transistors, caps, resistors, connectors and wires and a board. And of course a case to hold it all together. The hard part has been figuring out where on the car in the harness to hook it in. With the weather and a lack of a garage I can fit the car into, it will have to wait for better weather. Its not rocket science though.

Greg

Hi Everyone,

Maybe this is listed somewhere farther down the post. In the beginning of this post it shows the blue/white wire, Blue/Red Wire & Green/Black wire all going to pin 85 of the relay. In this configuration, the fuse blows. I just think it's a typo.

The BMP File shows the Blue/White wire going to pin 86. I haven't tried that yet. I was surprised to be putting 3 wires to the same post and not using pin 86.

I hope this correction will make the wipers work correctly.

Regarding the wiper motor, I got a Civic motor but don;t recall the exact year. It looks like the pic but was not a 91.

While working on this upgrade, my friend questioned why the Honda motor was selected. A 280ZX motor is very similar and much better than the early motors. I know the 280Z motor will not "park" correctly if put into a 240Z.

Troy

Post number 50 states the correct pin number and it is #86

Click on the BMP image under the pictures in post #1, it shows the correct drawing and wiring.

Here is the correct wiring as well

70' Datsun 240Z __________________ 91' Honda civic wiper motor

blue/white-------pin 86 ________ Pin 87A-------blue/white

blue-------------pin 87 ________ pin 30--------blue

Blue/red-----------pin 85-------pin 85----------green/black

Black----------------------to------------------black

Blue/yellow----------------to-------------------blue/yellow

Hope this ends all the confusion.

Dave.

While working on this upgrade, my friend questioned why the Honda motor was selected. A 280ZX motor is very similar and much better than the early motors. I know the 280Z motor will not "park" correctly if put into a 240Z.

Troy

I don't believe the ZX motor is a direct bolt in and the reason most have chosen to use the 91' and up motor is because it's still 10 years younger than the ZX motor and with my relay set-up, will "Park"

Dave.

The Civic motor is actually a 92-whatever the next body change was. When they say a 91 it has to have been a Civic built in late 91 which actually makes it a 92 model. I used a 95 Acura Integra motor and it just like the Civic. With Zs-ondabrain's wiring setup for the relay you will have everything (intermitent, slow, fast and park) It's great.

Hello Folks, I bring 2 pieces of good news. After looking at multiple spider legged 91 civic motor, I started doing some digging. It turns out I can verify the motor is the correct motor in a 92+ civic, which broadens the scope to:

ACURA INTEGRA GS (1997 - 2001)

ACURA INTEGRA GSR (1994 - 2001)

ACURA INTEGRA LS (1994 - 2001)

ACURA INTEGRA RS (1994 - 1998)

ACURA INTEGRA SPECIAL EDITION (1995 - 1996)

ACURA INTEGRA TYPE-R (1997 - 2001)

HONDA CIVIC CX (1992 - 1995)

HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL S (1993 - 1997)

HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL SI (1993 - 1997)

as well as 92-95 civic dx and ex's.

Now with this list there is a word of caution: The wrong motor might still be on the listed cars, but in the right place. So take EXTRA care The spider motors were inside the engine bay and didnt resemble thr right motor making it easy to spot them right away...The wrong motor is not the spider type but resembles the right 3 legged motor very closely. They are both under the plastic trim near the firewall/windshield I pulled the wrong motor out of a 94 civic. One difference I noted before I pulled out the second motor, is that from the back/top of the motor the right motor has its wire bunch going on top of its neck while the worng one didnt. the right one also has 3 mounting holes in a triangle while the wrong one only has 2 and a 3rd post with no threads in it. Study the pictures of the right motor before you go. Having a motor built in 2001 in a 70s car....Priceless Also these motors have the right shaft so you can just drill the mounting holes and bolt it in.

And next piece of good news... Here is the wiring for a 280z using stock delay module:

77' Datsun 280Z __________________ 92' Honda civic wiper motor

---------------------------_________Pin 86 -----blue/white

Yellow/black--------Pin 87A ________ Pin 87-------blue

----------------------------________ pin 30--------Chassis Ground

Blue/red----------------pin 85---------pin 85----------green/black

Black----------------------to------------------black

Blue/yellow----------------to-------------------blue/yellow

Fast, slow speed, intermit. and park all work with this setup. Ill double check this when I get home just to make sure im remembering it correctly, and Ill add a diagram of what is what incase your wiring is different and you have to figure it out,as its easier to figure out a circuit difference than the difference in car make/models. You can also buy a 4 prong relay if its all you can find instead of the 5, just put 280z yellow/blk and civic motor blue on the same 87 prong. Enjoy those bolt in 2001 motors that work with all settings and stock windshield wiper stalk control hehehehe AWESOME.

,Ryan

Edited by the_dirtking
  • Like 2

No prob and good question. Ill post up my diagram tonight but, you just gotta becareful what your pairing the hondas blue/white wire with. Most of the time it is ground, but when parked it has 12v on it. You gotta becareful or youll turn your stalk or a ground wire into a load to absorb that voltage. But for the connections it is pwr to pwr (red/blu?-green/blk) ground to ground (blacks) high to high (blue/yellow - blue/yellow) low to low (blue-???280s is yellow/blk) then you tie your wiper motor low to what is going to complete the circuit to your wiper after the your stalk ground is removed. which is the chassis ground. Then use the wiper motor park relay to power the automotive relay. So when ever the wipers are not parked, the automotive relay is connecting ground to wiper low which is making the wiper move until it gets to its parked spot, where the relay will open and if the stalk is not on low completing the circuit, then it stops. Im not sure if 260 wires are the same color but the concept is the same.

,Ryan

Edited by the_dirtking

• 2 months later...

I have just finished the wiper motor switch from Dave's write-up. Found it to be very easy and instructions are complete. Just a couple of questions about installing into a '72.

1. There is a two speed setting on the wiper switch, slow and fast. Does this upgrade suppose to provide both speeds?

2. Although the wipers function 100% better, there seems to be a faulty switch. As I switch the wipers on I need to gently rock the switch knob a little to get the wipers to stay on. I hear the relay clicking multiple times until I get the switch to a position that the wipers stay on by thenselves. If this is the problem has anyone repaired the switch at the end of the staulk?

Or do I need to replace the whole staulk?

Thanks, Tom

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Is there suppose to be two speeds with this new motor install? and can you give anymore detail into how to clean the contacts?

Do you need to take the whole stalk off the steering column or does the end switch/knob come off to get at the contacts?

Tom

Yes, there are 2 speeds on the honda motor, just like the datsun motor. Your contacts are probably to blame.

Remove the switch from the steering column, the wiper switch is on the bottom half of the stalk. Remove the two small screws and the other screw near the wire clamp. DO NOT PRY THE METAL TABS UP TO REMOVE FIBER PLATE!! They usually break off and you don't want to deal with that.

Carefully remove the switch over a towel, to not lose the two plastic bullets and springs.

Use a small screwdriver to pop the contact plates out. Takes a little wiggling but they'll come out. Clean them with steel wool or a small Stainless steel wire brush, to get in the burnt hole that you'll likely find. Clean off any old grease where the bullet slides back and forth.

If you have a curved hobby file, use that to clean the contact posts inside the switch. Or fold a small peice of 360 grit sandpaper to reach in and brush the posts clean. Wiper contacts are not typically HI amperage so blackening of the contacts should not be too evident. Also clean the plate cradles, where the plates rest on them, this is usually missed by most people and is very important.

Use a little Di-electric grease ( available at most auto parts stores for .99 cents for a packet of bulb grease- same thing) inside the spring hold to hold the springs and bullets in place when you re-assemble the switch. Make sure the plates snap back in to their cradle when you put them back in, before re-assembly.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave.

• Mike featured this topic