IGNORED

Steam Cleaning ... opinons please ...

280z1975

I am thinking about getting a steam cleaner to help with the underside cleaning of my car. I've heard some people say it works well, others not ... any opinions out there on this type of cleaning?

I am looking at a steam cleaner that is originally a Wall Paper Remover but has cleaning attachments. I also like the idea of doing it house cleaning with it and not having to use chemicals.

http://www.wagner-group.de/portal/color_dts_5800_en_wag,98471,365.html

Does the steam cleaner need to be sending out pressured water to work for cleaning? Thanks for the opinions.

I have a Steam Shark Blaster... I bought it mostly for cleaning engine blocks, prior to priming/painting. After using chemical solvents/degreasers to get the bulk of the oil/grease and crud off.

http://www.sharkcompany.com/shark/productdetail.aspx?title=Shark-Steam-Blaster&pid=FB33DC30-C11F-4DB0-AF2E-E20121CF6E84(Euro-Pro+Base+Catalog)

Overall - I'd say I could live without this one. You'd be better off going to rent a large commercial steam cleaner for doing the undercarriage.... if you can put the car up on a rack or rotisserie...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I pressure cleaned my car for a few years and found that it really forces water into places you'd rather not have it. (Such as spot weld joints) Using harsh degreasers also tends to shorten finishes lives. I've seen steam cleaners in use and think they're neat but it would probably do more damage over repeated use.

It seems that the gentler you are the less damage you do. (Go figure) This applys to chemicals and method of cleaning. I don't know if you can get simple green in Belgium but it (to me) is the best tool for removing light oil deposits. Sure, pressure or steam clean it if you've got serious buildup but maintain the clean with the gentlest means necessary.

Mechanical cleaning (scrubbing) is best since flush cleaning(water/pressure/steam) leaves a fine layer of silt.

2c from a guy who had a pressure cleaning business for 12 years.

Jim

Does the steam cleaner need to be sending out pressured water to work for cleaning?

Usually YES.

Therein lies a problem.

Any high pressure cleaning method will find any holes and if you are real unfortunate, create some new ones:rolleyes:

If you can, try before you buy.

Personally I would hire a device and, as has been mentioned, get the car uplifted somehow to allow reasonable access.

Oh, and do the job in someone elses driveway:eek:

In the past I have used a solvent attachment on my air compressor.

It used surprisingly little solvent and did a reasonable job.

I used kerosine as the solvent, then washed the body down with a high pressure garden hose.

Either or, it will make a mess!