IGNORED

L24E 6cyl 2.4L

LENGINELVR

I think the 1981 - 1983 Maximas are true sleepers. They have the L24 engine and fully independent suspensions.

Why not take that '83 Max and turn it into a Beemer-type sleeper sedan? I'd love to see that with the 280ZX Turbo "swastika" rims, Recaro seats, and a 3.1L stroker in it!!!

I answered the question about the L24E in your other thread. I won't fit a Z without changing the oil pan to a Z oil pan and having the machine work done on the block to allow the use of the Z pickup tube. And you'd have to do something about the location of the dipstick also.

• 1 month later...

Just so you know, you don't have to go drilling blocks or moving dipsticks to do the EFI conversion using the L24E from the Maxima (we call them Skylines in Aus).

All you need to do is find one with the E88 head, (same as your L26 block) and literally just swap the head and all the electrics/ecu etc. There's a bit more to it than that (high pressure fuel pump etc) but it is all a bolt-up operation. An added bonus is that the L24E head had closed combustion chambers so it ups the compression.

I've just finished the conversion, if you want to check out my thread here:

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9696

I can't recommend the conversion highly enough, it is worth it for the fuel economy alone. And it starts and runs, no need to warm it up or use a choke.

That's basically a head swap that you're speaking of. Okay maybe a little more complicated than my simplification of it but his question was:

I have a 1978 810 sw & a 1983 maxima.I believe they both have the same fuel injected engines. What z models & years would engines & trannys fit?

Hrm, I see - but I'm not sure what the advantage would be in putting a z motor into a maxima/skyline - possibly to get the advantage of a better flowing head, or one w/o emissions controls? To get bigger combustion changes, lower the CR for a turbo conversion? Or to convert from EFI to a carburetted setup?

I faced a similar decision, as the L24E motor I found was in much better nick than my L26. In the end it was far, far easier to mix and match the bottom and top ends, which is the approach I would suggest (regardless of whether it's a zed motor into a maxima, or the other way around).