IGNORED

Where to fit switch without damaging dash???

24OZ

I was given a brand new set of 6 trumpet musical air horns LOL and I just have to fit them now! I know its a bit of a boy racer thing but i suppose its a period accessory??:stupid:

In a bit of a dilemma as to where to mount the switch for them as i dont want to hack into the dask which is crack free. Any ideas? Also where is the best place to mount the air compressor without drilling into the inner fender??

Hi George,

I am not aware of what State/Road Dept. restrictions you may have, but the way I would go with the air horns is to:

Disconnect the wiring from the original horn and use this to drive a relay that operates the compressor direct from the battery. This way the air horns will work from the steering wheel horn button.

Conversely you can leave your exsiting horn connected and take power from it to achieve the above. You could then if you wish fit a switch to the relay fitted to switch the air horns on or off and still keep use of the original horn at all times. I would not worry about the low volume from the original horn, spoiling the air horn note.

My 240z has a switch fitted discreetly by the previous owner. It is sited under the dash, just next to the dash light dimmer control.

It is easily acessed, not easily seen and is not actually on the dash. (my car is rhd so this advice may need modification)

As for where to position the air compressor for the horns..... I will leave that one for some-one else to reply to :)

Cheers

Darryl

:D

Hi George,

oops!!!!

My mistake, I should have taken more notice of your location before replying :):)

One way of mounting your air horns/compressor without drilling holes into the bodywork is to make up a bracket to mount them off, and attach the bracket to a bolt(s) already in use somewhere in the engine bay.

Cheers

Darryl

:classic:

One idea for mounting your compressor for the horns would be to use the mounting holes on the side of the block where the smog pump would normally reside, that is if yours is not installed. Sorry, can't seem to remember if you had one or not George. Just a thought. :ermm:

If you could, you might try mounting an L bracket between the two halves of the steering column cover and mounting a button on the side of the column, easy to reach, and no new holes. Just run the mounting screw of the column cover through the bracket to hold it in place.