IGNORED

240K GT parts

khughes

hi Guys,

well, i have managed to snap up the 240K GT that was recently on ebay.. It is a 72 model (complied in australia 1/73) and it is build number 280! i know it wasn't probably the smartest buy.. considering my other project.. but i just can't resist sometimes!

unfortunately the car was a bit of an ongoing "project" and most of the bits of the car have been lost including the original engine, gearbox, bonnet, rear light panel, dash cluster, seats.. it was destined to have some form of V8 in it, but i am looking to fix her up and try and bring her back to a somewhat original look. the car is moslty stripped at the moment, so i am looking at fixing the remaining rust, get her painted again, and then put her all back together using some of the other parts i have lying around.

from what i can gather, the rear lights are original, it has the GT door cards, dash top is in good condition (though probably re-covered), and the Diff looks original (no idea what condition it is in though).

from what i can find, the only other really functional difference between the GT's and the GL's was that it came with a MPH/KMH speedo..

If anyone finds one of these in their travels, or knows of the whereabouts of one.. can you please let me know!!

Kent

post-6769-14150801481117_thumb.jpg

it is now my 4th 240k coupe.. (in as many years).. only one of those were complete cars.. and the others have all been "complete cars that just needed to be put together (yeah right!).. so that would make only 5 cars i have had the pleasure of being involved with! i am hoping that one day i will find a C10!

and i think commited might be the right term :D

thanks guys, would appreciate it if you ever see something..

Spewing you only just bought the coupe, if it had off been bought a year ago I could've given my engine and gearbox to you.

I just gave away a heap of parts to SWR including Hilux calipers and old school mags, front end and rear end. If you need any of those parts I'm sure they'd give you a good price maybe even free.

I'm hoping to be able to afford a C10 GTr one day as I love them soooooooo much. They look so hot.:love::love::love:

Kent, there's a lot more different than those few items.

Speedo is MPH only, not dual MPH/KPH.

Odometer is 5 digit.

Oil pressure is imperial.

Water temp is imperial.

Dash does not have the parking brake and brake system warning lights in the lower right corner.

Tacho has the brake system warning light in the lower centre.

Air vents are rectangular.

Front and rear springs are lower and stiffer.

The ADR plate describes the car as a "DATSUN GT COUPE".

If you really want to go down the rebuild path, work out your plan and get in touch.

I've got a complete (stuffed) 240K GT for spares plus some of the unique parts out of another one.

The "DATSUN GT COUPE" ADR plates for those two cars are not for sale.

btw, there's actually a s**t pile more 'little' differences to deal with for a really good restoration!

oh, and I forgot about those taillights. They are not original GT parts, they are JDM items.

The JDM lights do NOT comply with the Australian ADR's applicable at the time of manufacture and could not be fitted by Nissan.

Hi Arc,

that is some awesome information.

I will need to see what the car is missing on saturday afternoon when i pick it up, but i know that all the instrumentation is missing (including the bezel), i didn't check when i looked at it, but i assume the dash is the original one just recovered.

Unofrtunately it looks like the car was half pulled apart a number of years ago, then it has moved from place to place.. and some of the important parts have gone walkabout. The guy has obviously been picking up bits and pieces as he went.. but i am not confident he knew exactly what he was looking for

do you happen to have a picture of the rear beaver panel? the one that "comes" with the car has a different datsun badge (almost like what i remember the sedan one to be) to what i have seen before, and it had a GL badge on it, so i presume it is not the original.

I would be very interested in any GT parts that you can spare (including all the dash bits).. i will pm you on the weekend.

I guess i should be hunting for some more 240k GT pics by the sounds of it!

Art, not all of those are differences between GT and GL. Some are differences between early and late model cars, and some I question are differences at all (never seen a 240K with anything other than a 5-digit odo...)?

Kent, there were two "early" rear Datsun badges as far as I'm aware. One has black text (never actually seen one on a car) and the other has white. Are you sure the badge you have on this isn't just a later model badge? Got a picture of it?