IGNORED

Kyb Struts And Tokico Red Springs-bouncy Ride

reddie73

I installed KYB struts and red Tokico lowering springs on my 1977 280 a few weeks ago and the height is equal all around, sits well. The problem is the car seems very bouncy and seems to wander or dart over uneven pavement. I haven't had the front end aligned or toe in adjusted. The strut assembly has the spacers at the bottom for lower springs. I counted the threads on the outer tie rod ends and the passenger side had 10 threads from the lock nut and the driver side was at 6. I had not changed any of the other front end parts like ball joints or tie rods when replacing the springs. I moved only the passenger side in to match the driver side count and now steering wheel is off center. I read the fix for this after I had adjusted the passenger side tie rod. I also noticed that I can not see any of the strut rod on the front or rear when the car is parked. I put new bump stops on, but did not shorten them. The KYB struts were put on about 5,000 miles prior to the springs and the previous springs coils were nearly touching each other front and rear. I'm wondering if the KYB cartridges are shot and the bouncy ride is due to the springs doing all of the work.

KYB specifically says that their GR2 cartridges are NOT for use with lowering springs. I ignored that warning once before with a different brand of car, and the results were very bad. The KYBs do not have enough damping to control the increased loads that the higher spring rates and reduced shock travel cause.

I'd recommend a set of Tokico shocks, and probably trimming the bump stops by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

Cut bump stops 1 inch. Will get front toe set and test drive to see if this improves ride. If this doesn't help the Tokico struts are next. I'm putting my 1971 24Z back together and most of my funds are going to that project, so I'm hoping this fix will help. Thanks for all of the input and help.