Need a diff in Western NY (ZCCR/ZACNY/OZC) - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Need a diff in Western NY (ZCCR/ZACNY/OZC)

Featured Replies

At least I think so.

My 1972 293,000 mile Z has a sad rear end. For starters it clunks. Okay Okay, this is most likely the mount... I have one, I just need to install it.

But here is the real problem. It whines. And makes other clunking noises. Standing still, let of the clutch CLUNK (Diff mount?), Moving forward now it starts to whine, gets louder and changes pitch w/ speed. Let off the gas completely CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK THUNK CLUNK. Now up until about an hour ago if I gave it a little gas to maintain speed it would just whine, but now it started makeing lighter clunks then too. HELP!

I NEED the car on Sept. 7th for an event at Watkins Glen, not racing just leisure, but it is for sports cars only and I've signed up the Z... Thats $70 I don't want to lose.

Looking for a good used or rebuilt R180 in the Western/Central NY area or even nearby PA or our Canadian friends in Ontario. I can pick it up. I'm looking for a straight bolt in ready to go unit. I don't know what the stock ratio was but I'd like to stay in the same ballpark. Mine is a 09/71 build date w/ 4spd manual.

I will pay cash or I have a L28 block that I would trade and throw in cash too. Heck I'd even toss in the engine stand it's sitting on.

Please Help a fellow Z nut! PM if you can help.

Nate :surprised

  • Author

I'm not against having one shipped, so if you have a good deal and are willing to ship... that's fine too!

Thanks

Nate

Nate, stock ratio for a 240Z with a 4 speed was 3:36:1. With an automatic it was 3.54:1. If you don't have a 5 speed in the car, you probably don't want to go much lower than that.

  • Author

Thanks Arne. I was feeling a little too lazy to look it up I guess! Do you know if the ratios the same for a '73? I have a 5spd... just not in the car LOL

One mechanical wrinkle at a time is all I can iron out right now.

Looks like I've got one wrangled up, thanks Jerry. It's untested but suspected to be in good mechanical shape. Anything we should look for before it's bolted in the car?

Thanks,

Nate

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I think all 240Zs had the same ratios, regardless of year.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.