Car won't start - oil in plugs - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Car won't start - oil in plugs

Featured Replies

Tried to start my 240Z after about 1 month of idle time. The battery was fully charged, and I was getting spark, but noticed a nice coat of oil on the plugs. I know the car needs a ring job, but I've started the car many times in the past with no issues.

This go around, the starter turned, but the engine never catches - not even a cough. Any ideas?

Change the plugs for now (NGKs) and budget for an overhaul or different engine.

  • Author

Yea, I always knew I'd need the overhaul, but the plugs are getting spark - so I am not sure if changing gets me much. It's worth a shot, but for whatever reason it just decided not to run - never an issue even though I knew it was burning oil.

That 'month of idle time' would give that oil time to really 'cure' on the plugs and foul them to the point where it won't start. When you're driving it more often the plugs will burn a lot of that off allowing it to run even though you

need rings.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.