IGNORED

1972 Southern Cross Rally

Zedrally

I have scanned a feature that was published in the Racing Car News on the Dashing Datsuns in the 1972 Southern Cross Rally.

Unfortunately, no matter what I try I can't get it uploaded.

If anyone would like copies and upload to this site please mail me with your address.

I have scanned a feature that was published in the Racing Car News on the Dashing Datsuns in the 1972 Southern Cross Rally.

If anyone would like copies and upload to this site please mail me with your address.

Mike,

you mean by address, mail address?

can you send to me? legendary5@z-point.nl

i will upload it for you.

Here the scanned pics what Mike was trying to upload? I have resized them and cut the pages in two, to get them uploaded.

After all, you all want them to read don’t you?

1/6

post-1340-1415079211373_thumb.jpg

Here the scanned pics what Mike was trying to upload? I have resized them and cut the pages in two, to get them uploaded.

2 out of 6

post-1340-14150792114062_thumb.jpg

3 out of 6

post-1340-14150792114202_thumb.jpg

4 out of 6

post-1340-14150792114542_thumb.jpg

5 out of 6

post-1340-1415079211468_thumb.jpg

6 out of 6

post-1340-14150792114888_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

Long time no see.

I just ran into a nice website if the SOUTHERN CROSS RALLY itself.

This is their URL: www.southerncrossrally.com

They got a nice site with old pictures regrettably not the 240’s but never the less great to look in.

What they do have is a poster of the reunion and at that poster there’s a 240Z printed on!!

They even go further read the following.

SOUTHERN CROSS RALLY Eligibility Overview

The Southern Cross International Rally was held from 1966 through to 1980. In keeping with the era of the original rallies, the competition vehicles of that period will feature in the 2003 Southern Cross Rally program of historic road events.

What cars can take part?

The spirit of historic motor sport aims to preserve the specifications of historic vehicles according to their period of competition.

For a vehicle to be eligible to compete in the Southern Cross Rally historic road events, it will satisfy the following basic conditions of entry:-

• Vehicle model in production on, or prior to, 31/12/1980;

• Modifications comply to specifications, as listed on, or prior to, 31/12/1980;

• It is not a four-wheel drive vehicle;

• It is not supercharged or turbo-charged

(Note: The injection of fuel under pressure is not considered to be supercharging.);

• It is registered and covered by CTP insurance valid in NSW.

Which cars will be the authentic competition vehicles of the period?

Production specifications and modifications that will be allowed, according to the era of the original rallies, can be tracked through the following avenues:

1. Vehicle homologation forms and additional variations each of which were listed and numbered by the FIA no later than 31/12/1980; or

2. Manufacturer's specifications, including sales brochures, manufacturer's handbook, manufacturer's workshop manual, manufacturer's spare parts list, all of which must have been first published no later than 31/12/1980 and do not conflict with any original homologation form; or

3. Cars with an accepted individual competition history in the Southern Cross International Rallies or other international events of the same era, and have remained within the specifications and modifications of the period no later than 31/12/1980; or

4. Documented evidence produced in the period, and from at least two acceptable sources, that a manufacturer's specifications were varied for an entrant in an international event that was conducted no later than 31/12/1980.

How were the historic cars classified?

The vehicles that were recognised by the FIA for international competition purposes of the period up to 31/12/1980 were classified according to minimum production numbers in 12 consecutive months:

Group 1 (Series-Production Touring Cars: recognised production 5000 units)

Group 2 (Touring Cars: 1000 units) . basically Group 1 with accepted modifications

Group 3 (Series-Production Grand Touring Cars: 1000 units)

Group 4 (Grand Touring Cars: 400 units) . basically Group 3 with accepted modifications

Group 5 (Special Production Cars deriving from Groups 1 to 4)

NOTE: Group 5 is not a recognised classification for FIA Appendix K (Historic) events.

There are vehicles that were not homologated by the manufacturers during their time of production; they, too, are a significant part of the history of motor sport competition. For vehicles that were not issued with homologation papers, the manufacturer's specifications of the period will be the point of reference to determine the authenticity of that vehicle.

Vehicle specifications references

Historic competition vehicles in the Southern Cross Rally programs will be prepared to the specifications as they stood in 1980 and beforehand.

1.. For the FIA recognised Groups 1, 2, 3 or 4 vehicles, refer to the manufacturer's homologation for the particular Group; or

2.. Where there were no homologation papers issued, refer to the manufacturer's specifications In a similar manner, any modifications and/or parts fitted to these historic competition vehicles in the Southern Cross Rally programs will be according to what were acceptable and available in 1980 and beforehand,

1.. For the FIA recognised Groups 1, 2, 3 or 4 vehicles, refer to the manufacturer's homologation for the particular Group; or

2.. Where there were no homologation papers issued, refer to the manufacturer's specifications. Interim Conversion Schedule

Many of today's competitors have expressed interest in the historic rallies that are part of the 2003 Southern Cross Rally program. However there are vehicle modifications that are used often in Australia and are not aligned to FIA regulations.

FIA Historic Vehicles comply with the FIA-recognised Groups 1, 2, 3 and 4 or the manufacturers' specifications, and the modifications as they were, according to the era.

FIA-recognised Group 5 vehicles were accepted for competition in the Southern Cross International Rally for a limited number of years. Because of this precedent, vehicles that can satisfy the Group 5 classification, of the period up to and including 31/12/1980 (but not beyond this period), will be permitted to enter the 2003 Southern Cross Rally program of events.

The classification as defined in the Appendix J to the 1980 International Sporting Code will be permitted during the conduct of the 2003 Southern Cross Rally program of events. This is a temporary measure only, and will not extend beyond the 2003 program. It is designed to provide several opportunities for today's rally competitors:-

1. to gain first-hand an understanding of historic rallying by participating in the 2003 Southern Cross Rally program of historic events, and

2. to use their current competition vehicle if:-

a. the vehicle satisfies the basic conditions of entry; and

b. the vehicle complies with the FIA recognised Group 5 of the period up to and including 31/12/1980; and

c. the modifications used are those as were permitted and available up to and including 31/12/1980.

Once competitors have actually experienced what historic events are about, they will be better informed to make the decision whether they stay with the moderns, or prepare their vehicles along the lines of international historic requirements.

An information pack has been prepared, in which are included the extracts pertaining to Group 5 vehicles from the Appendix J of the International Sporting Code for 1980 and other information, if required. For further details, contact the Southern Cross Rally office.

PLEASE NOTE: First and foremost, all vehicles entering the 2003 Southern Cross Rally must be registered by an appropriate civil authority and approved for road use within NSW, and be covered by a Third Party Insurance policy valid for NSW.

Southern Cross Rally PO Box 5626 Port Macquarie NSW 2444 Australia

Telephone: +61 2 6581 4595 Email: thecross@bigpond.net.au Web page:

post-1340-14150792544449_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have recieved some new information from Bob Watson on the 73' SC.

I have broken this post into 2 threads. The first is Bob's original post to me, which is buried somewhere in the Rally Anyone Thread.

The second is his recent reply to me, it adds a little information on Bob's car which was previously unknown!

Mike,

Jeff Beaumont and I were part of the official factory "Datsun" team (before they

changed to "Nissan") in the 1973 Southern Cross Rally. The other team members

were the late Tony Fall / Steve Halloran, Shekhar Mehta / Roger Bonhomme, all in

240Zs, and Frank Kilfoyle/ Mike Osborne (I think) in a 180BSSS. Mehta had won

the East African Safari that year. Bruce Wilkinson ran the team .

My car had been previously run in the Monte Carlo Rally that year. It was left

hand drive, had heaps of power and a lot of traction at the rear, so it was very

prone to understeer, which made it very hard to drive. Tony Fall took me for a

drive during a testing session in the Kinglake forest, and his technique was to

constantly weave the car so that it was always in a slight oversteer attritude,

even on the straights. His comment was "if the bastard understeers, your'e

dead".

The rally was one of the wettest Southern Crosses ever - only nine or ten cars

finished the course. Tony Fall hated driving the Z in the wet, and more or less

indicted that the sooner he retired the better. Sure enough he rolled near the

end of the first night, and was last seen disappearing into a caravan with an

attractive girl. The rest of the team soldiered on, but Andrew Cowan inevitably

won in a Mitsubishi Lancer (one of his 5 Sothern Cross wins). . Kilfoyle

finished seventh, I think we were ninth and only one other car finished behind

us. Conditions were atrocious, and I must say it was one of the scariest and

most difficult drives of my career, wrestling with a very powerful left hand

drive factory car in pouring rain and slippery mud. I have some photos of the

car, but there was so much mud around that the number plates were probably

unreadable. I will check. I know the plates had Japanese registration.

Nissan finally won the Southern Cross in 1977, Rauno Aaltonen was first, Harry

Kallstrom was second (both in twin cam 710s) and I finished third with Peter

Godden in a Gerry Ball single cam 710.

Bob.

Follow on from previous post...

I am happy do do anything to help. I can't recall exactly what I told you last time, but the car was used in the Monte Carlo Rally in 1973, which was the year I drove it in the 'Cross. I was told at the time it had light weight body panels, and it had a front windscreen with de - icing elements in the glass.I have just looked at a photo of the car (the only one I have) and the registration plate is riveted to the RH front of the bonnet. The photo is not very clear, but the numbers 851 are visible on the plate along with some other indistinguishable letters / figures.

Bob

Needless to say, I will be getting a copy of the said photo...

MOM

Hi Mike,

Great info. It is great to read a ‘live’ rapport of one of the participants. Love to see the picture(s). Keep it posting. Plate ‘851’ would be very interesting because as far as I know they where 4080 and 3444???? ……. Mum…!!?? I can’t sleep anymore…….. :)