IGNORED

Seat rail differences over the model years

Hi all,

I am looking to buy some seat rails in japan to bring back to Australia for my car, however they come in 3 models here apparently due to different bolt spacing:

69-73

74-76

76-78

Now my 260Z is a '77, however I am thinking that an Australian '77 is more than likely a Japan/US '76. I dont think the 280Z was sold in Japan, but maybe the chassis differences were carried over into the domestic 260Z's.

Basically my question would be, has anyone found any seat rail differences between the Z's back in Australia, especially the 260Z's?

Thanks

G'Day James

Just looking in my parts catalogue section 144 I see that there are different listings for seat slides for 260Z's :

From August 1976

From September 74 to July 76

The difference in the parts catalogue pictures appears to be in the rear mounting point of both brackets with the earlier model having a bolt that goes into the floor mounting at an angle while the later model has a bracket that gives a vertical angle for the mounting bolt. I am sorry that I do not have the technical knowledge or equipment to post a picture.

This apparent difference does not seem to be reflected in the part numbers and pictures

86500-E4100

Assy Slide With Lever RH to November 1973

86500-N3400

Assy-Slide with lever RH December 73 to Aug 74 supersedes 86500-E4100

86500-N4500

Assy Slide with lever RH September 74 to July 76 supersedes 86500-N3400

86500-N4700

Assy Slide with lever RH From August 76 supersedes 86500-N4500 (This does not appear to be possible given the pictures of the parts)

Substitute 87500 for 86500 to get the corresponding LH parts numbers.

The opposite side slides (no levers) have similar differences with the models.

I will have a look at my cars tomorrow and post again.

Regards

Now that I have been able to look at my cars I find that my 2 seater and the parts car both have the earlier angled rear bolt mounting and both of my road cars have the later vertical rear bolt mounting.

This is something that I did not expect in trying to reconcile my the May 76 date of manufacture of my black Z against the information I have from the parts catalogue.

All I have to really offer here is that there are two different slides for Zeds and that the, or one of the, difference(s) seems to be in the rear bolt mounting.

If your car is a 77 then I would probably expect that you have the rear mounting where the bolt is vertical. Maybe it would be a good thing to check this before you purchase any parts.

Hope that this is of some help. BTW, these parts are reasonably heavy to carry around so be prepared for that if you are going to carry them in your hand luggage on the return trip.

Regards

Thanks for your informative reply!

I have been living in Japan for around a year now and am on my way home at the end of the month. I have a shipping allowance from my company, so that why I am looking to pick up these sorts of heavy/awkward parts ;)

Anyhow, looks like I have more research to do, although my car is on the other side of the world.

I can only find one photo of my floor online, and it is just short of showing the rear seat mounts.

What it does show is the emboss pattern in the front-cross is different than anything else I can find in the galleries. All the photos in the galleries have 2 squares embossed into the front cross, where as you can see my car has a circle-square-circle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10538&d=1136537702

I am wondering if this give any indication into the seat mounting type?

You wouldnt mind checking if you seat rail type corresponds to your front cross shape would you? Sorry to ask.

Alternatively, if any other aussie readers have a '77 2 seater, input would be great.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...