IGNORED

Interchangeable suspension?

I needed a new rear right suspension, strictly the a-joint. It seems that the PO had an accident and the rear suspension is now bent. I went to the local pick-a-part and all I could find was a 78' 280Z so I picked up the a-joint and everything attached to it(Coil,shock,drum etc.) I was wondering if these parts are interchangeable for a 1973 240Z. Can I simply remove the coil+shock and pop that thing in, or is there more to it? Any help and pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Albert

I believe the lower control arm is the same, but the strut housing is not. The 280Z was taller (to meet bumper height requirements) so its strut tube is longer, I believe.

The A arm from the 240 is lighter because it uses a thinner walled tube on the inboard end and less gusseting elsewhere. They bolt up the same though. The 240 strut tube is an inch shorter, and it is a thinner wall thickness and smaller OD than the 280 tube. The rubber insulator that goes on top of the spring is also shorter. The brakes are different also. Not too familiar with stock drums, but I think the 280 uses dual piston wheel cylinders. Also the stub axles will be 25 spline on the 240 vs 27 spline on the 280. That's all I can come up with off the top of my head, but there may be other differences...

Cool, thanks for the feedback, I guess I'll keep looking for parts from a 240Z, I don't want any more weight on the car. Thank You so much, I would have hated putting in the parts and finding out that they were not the same. You saved me a lot of time. Thank You.