IGNORED

canister and hoses

76Datsun280z

I've got another question for you guys here.

I forget what this does, but I know that a couple hoses run off of it and not sure exactly where they go. If it's something to do with emissions, then I'll probably just leave it or take it off as all the emissions crap was taken off. I'm thinking about hooking those two hoses back up to it, but not sure where they would go and what the purpose of the "bottle" is for.

Here's what I'm referring to.

s5000251in1.jpg

I tried to do some research on this and from my understanding, one hose connects up to the fast idle actuator for the a/c, on the other goes through the firewall and connects up to the heater motor?

s5000252vg0.jpg

Thanks again for all your help guys. Sometimes I get a hunch that I ask to many questions, so feel free to let me know anytime

This diagram should get you going in the right direction...I bought a whole roll of 7/64" vacumn tubing to do my entire system. (I.E. - Under the dash, Under the hood...etc...etc) If you're going to do it...you might as well do it right the first time and move on to something else...

webdawg1

post-5649-14150800466185_thumb.jpg

The vacuum tube that connects to the F.I.CD. comes frome one of the vacuum solenoids. All that stuff is activated via the a/c relay from the microswitch inside the car on the vent selector lever. See your air conditioning FSM.

Hey guys, thanks for the info and diagram! It has really helped me. I got the two vacuum hoses from the vacuum bottle hooked up to the solenoids, so got that taken care of. Tomarrow I think I'm going to buy a role of vacuum hose as you suggested to finish it off.

After studying this diagram (found an easier one that I have found easier to follow), it shows vacuum hose c ( the one comming out of the firewall on the passenger side) making a split using the "Y or T" connector as it states in the diagram. Well in my car, the hose comming out of that same hole in the firewall makes a left turn and is connected up to "vacuum port s1" as they call it in the diagram. Either the the previous owner did this and it is connected wrong or my car is some how "different" as it being a different set up other than the set up the diagram shows, but I highly doubt that as my car is a '76, but just feel better being a 100% sure on that . Before I go out and change it to via. what the diagram shows, I just want to be 100% sure that this is connected up wrong before I go out and change the routing of the hose to the vacuum hose diagram. Any input is greatly apprectiated! I included a couple pictures to show what I'm talking about.

vacuumtj6.png

diagram

s5000253mw9.jpg

As you can see, this hose (which is shown in the diagram the one on the passenger side firewall) makes a left turn and then goes and is connect up to the "vacuum port s1". Look at the diagram and you will see it does not do this and makes a split via. the "y or t" connector. Catch my drift?

s5000254ee5.jpg

"Here's the "vacuum port s1" as they call it in the diagram connected up to that hose that came out on the passenger side firewall that made the left turn.

Hope you follow that, but thanks again and please let me know what you think I should do!

Hey guys, thanks for the info and diagram! It has really helped me. I got the two vacuum hoses from the vacuum bottle hooked up to the solenoids, so got that taken care of. Tomarrow I think I'm going to buy a role of vacuum hose as you suggested to finish it off.

After studying this diagram ( a different one that I found to be a little easier to follow and read), shows vacuum hose c ( the one comming out of the firewall on the passenger side) making a split using the "Y or T" connector as it states in the diagram. Well in my car, the hose comming out of that same hole in the firewall makes a left turn and is connected up to "vacuum port s1" as they call it in the diagram. Either the the previous owner did this and it is connected wrong or my car is some how "different" (have no idea how it could be, but just want to clear it with you guys first). Before I go out and change it to via. what the diagram shows, I just want to be 100% sure that this is a mistake and connected up wrong before I go out and change the routing of the hose to match the vacuum hose diagram. Any input is greatly apprectiated! I included a couple pictures to show what I'm talking about.

vacuumtj6.png

diagram

s5000253mw9.jpg

As you can see, this hose (which is shown in the diagram the one on the passenger side firewall) makes a left turn and then goes and gets connected up to the "vacuum port s1". Look at the diagram and you will see it does not do this and makes a split via. the "y or t" connector. Catch my drift?

s5000254ee5.jpg

"Here's the "vacuum port s1" as they call it in the diagram connected up to that hose that came out on the passenger side firewall that made the left turn.

Hope you follow that, but thanks again and please let me know what you think I should do!

So the exact size of these vacuum hoses is 7/64? I just want to make sure as it looks like I'll have to order a roll of it online because I've been to three different auto parts stores that don't carry the right size. Also, if any of you have that "y or t" connector I'll buy it as I think I'll need one of those too.

I got my 7/64" (2.8mm) hose from NAPA. Item #H458 It's actually windshield wiper hose, but it fits quite well and appears to be more heavy duty than the OEM hose that was used from the factory...etc...etc. Pretty much just took one piece of hose off at a time and used it for a template for the new hose as far as length goes...etc...etc.

webdawg1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I found what I needed at Z Specialties, the hose and the "t" connector and got all the hoses and everything hooked up as they should be under the hood. I also have about 10ft. or so of extra hose so if any of you ever need some, feel free to let me know!