IGNORED

Quick a/c question

76Datsun280z

About a year ago, we pulled off the a/c compressor off our old 260z to eventually put on my car since it got taken off at one point. I've already got the condensor and pretty much everything else of the system on the car other than the compressor. I know that they take away hp and mpg and everything, but it just gets smokin' hot during the summer and hot days and can get almost un-barable at times on hot days. I'm to be going to colleage in southern California next year, so it would almost be a must to have down there. I figure during the winter I'd just pull off the belt when it's not in use and get my hp and mpg back. Come summer, put it back on.

Any how, I'm thinking about before summer to get it put on (maybe have the compressor rebuilt which it may need), and re-charged. I took a couple pictures of it and was curious if you could identify if this was a factory a/c compressor or if it was a dealer a/c style compressor? There's probably not any difference between the two, but I don't know enought about these and would like to learn a little more about it. Also, what color were they orginally? Before it was put on the car I'd like to clean it up a little bit and paint it if I could. Thanks guys.

s5000222rd5.jpg

s5000223kt6.jpg

That looks to be a Hitachi MJ167 which is a factory installed compressor. They're pretty much the color of yours, minus the rust. If it worked when it was on the 260, I'd try it out first before going to the expense of having it rebuilt. I've installed a few straight from the junkyard (after leak testing them) and they still worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible at all for someone to post a picture of the compressor on their 260z or 280z mounted to the mounting bracket on the side of the engine? The compressor seems to have a few mounting points and it would be helpful to see how one is already hooked up to give me an idea on how it mounts on to the car as I've never had it on. Thanks!

I think I've got it figured out on how it goes on and everything. From my understanding, it does not use a one of these (picture below) belt tensioner bracket for the a/c belt, it uses the small pulley on the bracket for the belt tension? Other than that, I think I'll be able to get it on in no time and have it recharged!

ji-a220.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out the piston inside the compressor is frozen up, but for some reason still spins free? It was at a shop today in to get the a/c charged. From what I've been told, it sounds like it would be a whole lot of money to have it rebuilt if I could find somebody to do it but haven't had any luck on finding anybody to do it and was told by everbody it's not worth it even if I did. I did however find a used one for $50.00 that's not seized up or anything, so I might buy that and have new seals put in it.

Go to this link and scroll down to the two compresors near the bottom. The second one is the one you want. Norm sells his stuff for about 1/4 to 1/3 of the msrp. These are oem nos units. You may have to change the high side port to the one that's on your old compressor but it will work. Would be much easier than trying to replace seals in an old compressor especially if your not familiar with that kind of work as I am.

http://www.oem-surplus.com/nwp/8101.htm

I'm kind of curious about something. I've been calling around lately about and researching online for a new compressor, and it seems in order to maintain the warranty, you have to purchase a new drier. I guess I'm a little curious on why you need to do this to maintain the warranty.