IGNORED

How long till I need to Replace?

Quick question for you guys

I'm looking into buying a 1973 240z with about 240k miles on it.

The suspension has yet to be touched as far as I know but seemed to work fine when I drove it around the block a couple of times. There is no rust on the arms or any crud like that so how long do you think they will last (any kind of estimate is great just want a general idea) and how much to replace when the time comes?

Thanks

Usually you only replace bushings, joints and shocks unless something is bent, broken or has not been lubricated properly.

A full set of urethane suspension bushings is less than $150, a set of shocks will run between $100-el cheepos, and $800 for a custom made set, ball joints are one of the items you should buy actual Nissan parts for, and I haven't priced them in quite a while...there is a set of bearings at the top of the front suspension, but I have never seen them go bad unless the caps were gon and water continually got to them.

When the steering feels sloppy, the car keeps bouncing after a bump, or the ride sucks, check them all out and replace what is bad.

The first thing I would buy is a FSM for the car.

We have a club project going on, but it is a good ways from completion...

Will

When buying a Z there are many more things to look at than the suspension. Drive over some bumps and uneven pavement. this will tell you what you need to know in that area. Look for the rust by the battery and under the carpets , also on the corners of the sill at the rear hatch. The hidden rust is the killer. The suspension is all things that can be replaced and not as costly. If you see ANY blisters in the paint by the bottom of the front fenders or just in back of the doors down low in front of the back wheel. This is rust coming from the back side , not a good sign . Gary

Thanks for the input.

I just bought the car today and will get it on saturday after the rear end is replaced, the 72 carbs are put on, heads are retorqued and all that fun engine service stuff, and some new tie rods are put in the car. The car was checked throughly and the only rust was a quarter size hole down by the drivers side door and on the inside lip of the rear hatch.

Congrats and welcome to the forum! Let us see some pics as soon as you have em. Lots of good stuff on rust repair here. I'd get to that ASAP before it turns cancerous. If it starting to show externally, there's more on the inside. Do a search on "rust repair" and "por15" or "por-15". Works great at stopping rust as well as preventing it for those of use lucky enough not to have any.