IGNORED

MSA sway bar

jezze

I was browsing posts on sway bars and Jon said this, "The later MSA bar for the 280s might be a bit better because they have the brackets that drop down off of the frame rail, unlike the 240s."

Now, I may have taken this too out of context, but the person Jon was posting back to has a 240z. And the jist was that ST anti-sway bars are better, but you're going to go MSA, then one should get the 280 style.

I may just be confused, and it would be WAY to convenientif this did work out.

The 240 bar from MSA bolts straight to the frame rails. You drill holes through the floor in the back and the bar sits on a bracket that is right on the bottom of the rail. In this configuration on my car the bar was binding horribly with the floor to the point where my car would pull inside rear tires when slaloming. That's pretty weird for a Z...

The 280 bar that MSA sells might not have that problem because the 280 (and I think the 260 also) have brackets that drop down from the frame rail. I think dropping the bar lower away from the frame would prevent this interference.

The Suspension Techniques bar for a 240 mounts in a much better position for the 240. You replace the uprights in back of the diff with ones that have bolt holes to mount the bar, and then the ends of the bar bend forward to hit the control arm. This is a much better position for a 240. There is some indication that the bar may hit the uprights, but can be spaced back 1/2" very easily to prevent that problem.

The ST bar for a 280 mounts in front of the diff just like the MSA 280 bar.