IGNORED

R31 electronic dizzy

c210

Hey Guys,

I have an R31 electronic dizzy at home which I am looking at fitting to my L24, carby motor. Any ideas on weather this will be fine?

It's from an RB30 motor not Lseries, and I have taken my stock one off and fitted this one and it all sits fine, just not sure if there is anything internal that would cause issues?

Wiring for it seems identical to the R30 ones.

Did a search but only found info on R30/280zx dizzy's.

cheers

Bobby

Unless the R31 version is LOTS different to the VL one then you're plumb out of luck.

It appears that you are right that the dissy will physically fit, doesn't seem to be any issues with drive to it or anything else.

Electrically is where it all comes unglued - the RB30 uses an ECU which does all the calculations for spark timing and fires the coil. The dissy then puts that spark to the appropriate plug.

You would have to emulate the functions of the ECU.

Have look at

http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=taxonomy/term/1

as you might as well go crank trigger and wasted spark in that case!!

Another alternative would be a HEI kit from Jaycar or D i c k Smiths (as published in Silicon Chip magazine) which can be triggered from a standard L24 distributor.

(pardon the spaces in **** Smiths - the thought police are obviously alive and well)

VL and R31 are almost identical AFAIK. when I had my R31 with CAS problems, I was using VL parts to try to troubleshoot (turned out to be a dry joint in the factory piggy back computer, fault codes just kept pointing to CAS)

Any RB30 running EFI will have the same issues, as the spark would be ECU controlled.

not to say you couldn't use it if you were doing an EFI conversion on the L6

Can I do any harm by giving it a shot? From what I know it's actually out of an early 80's patrol, not a skyline/VL so I'm hoping it may work?

Don't see that it would do any damage but I can't see that there is any difference between RB30's from ANY source.

The Patrol RB30 was FI just like Skylines, used a similar ECU.

Are you sure it was an RB30 powered Patrol? Early 80's would have had an L28 with electronic ignition like the 280ZX just not FI

Don't see that it would do any damage but I can't see that there is any difference between RB30's from ANY source.

The Patrol RB30 was FI just like Skylines, used a similar ECU.

Are you sure it was an RB30 powered Patrol? Early 80's would have had an L28 with electronic ignition like the 280ZX just not FI

hope I'm wrong. Might give it a go this weekend

Two possible dissies:

1. a black 'block' attached to the side and two wires OR

2. a two way connector on one side and a four way connector at about 3 o'clock to that

1 is an L28 part and should do nicely, 2 is an RB30 part and is no use to you

great news, it 's definately as described in point 1. I thought it looked exactly like the L28 ones, like i said in my first post it looks like the ones out of an R30. The thing that through me was that it has R31 written on it.

thanks for all the help guys!