IGNORED

Yahoo japans CLEANEST.

WingZr0

Very weird how the Google Translator messed up on the Showa and Heisei dates! You'd think it would get those right. My practice reading katakana is paying off. It's getting easier to read the original over the Google translation!

カヤバオイルショック - KYB Blue Shocks - not - KAYABAOIRUSHOKKU

カヤバオイルショック - KYB Blue Shocks - not - KAYABAOIRUSHOKKU

Victor,

I don't read that katakana as 'KYB' or 'Blue'.

I read it as 'Kayaba' ( makers of the KYB brand ) and 'Oil' - but spelled phonetically in katakana with the typical Japanese 'ru' sound on the end, and likewise the phonetic 'Shokku', meaning 'shock' / shock absorber. So I think it should translate as 'Kayaba oil shock(s)'

Surely the writer is differentiating between Kayaba / KYB oil-type shocks, and the more expensive gas versions? If he was writing the colour 'blue', he'd have been more likely to use Kanji I reckon. Japanese word for the colour blue ( phonetically "Aoi" ) sounds quite close to phonetic "Oiru" / oil, so maybe that tripped you?

google translator can't translate foreign japanese words.

Katakana is used for foreign words, so there is no way to translate them really.

I don't agree. I believe the situation is quite the opposite, in fact.

Machine translation software has much more problem with accurate translation of Japanese kanji characters than with katakana. It often 'overtranslates' kanji where it is not necessary - such as in place names or family / company names - or comes up with the wrong reading of the character combinations for the context they are being used in.

Katakana on the other hand, being a simple phonetic script, is much more easy to machine convert. However, you soon find that syllables in Japanese phonetics don't match up directly with what you would hope or expect their English language pronunciation equivalents to be. This is how you end up with roughly 'Ho-te-ru' for 'Hotel' and 'Su-tsu-case-u' for Suitcase. If using machine translation from Japanese to English, you have to be pragmatic and have a rough idea of the intention of the writer - which is really what language is all about anyway.............

Victor, If he was writing the colour 'blue', he'd have been more likely to use Kanji I reckon. Japanese word for the colour blue ( phonetically "Aoi" ) sounds quite close to phonetic "Oiru" / oil, so maybe that tripped you?

It did. I read it as ao iro (blue color), thinking that he was in a hurry and didnt select the kanji, just hammering it out in Katakana.

アオイロ 青色 オイル 僕アホーです!

aoiro aoiro oiru

One of these things are not like the other. I'm a fool but still learning.

• 6 months later...
[in matter of fact that whole front end is Cool.

AERODYNAMIC,

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fpage2%2eauctions%2eyahoo%2eco%2ejp%2fjp%2fauction%2fb72858523

eiji_4325-img600x450-1166140766pc130018.jpg

eiji_4325-img600x450-1166140775pc130001.jpg

eiji_4325-img600x450-1166140824pc130010.jpg

~Z~[/quote

The one piece on the front looks like a piece I have in my garage. I got it from a friend when I was stationed in Japan and have not paid attention to it until I saw it on this car and one on a picture of a car in Alan Thomas' collection.

FYI everyone, some interesting info I found on that spoiler.

Theres no part numbers or makers mark on my spoiler either.

I was told by KATS, if I remember right, that mines is a repro of a

vintage after market chin spoiler like the one Montezuma owns.

So niether the original after market spoiler nor my repro of it have

part numbers or maker marks.

Accordng to member HLS30.COM theres a nissan part number that looks

simlar to it but without the brake ducts.

Seen simlar spoilers on TA22 Celicas but still wonder who

origanally made it though.

~Z~

Edited by WingZr0
Mystery Spoiler ? ?