IGNORED

I give up...Rear Brake Return Springs/ Q's

kcdc

I've searched but can't find the answer; looked in Motorsports catalog & in Victoria British; both have different pictures.

I replaced my wheel brake cyclinders on my 1976 280x while I had the car apart to replace the half shaft u-joints.

It's been down a while and I'm stuck! I got new brake shoes with the wheel cylinders but the return springs were no that old, so I didn't order those. I can't get the bottom spring on to save my life.

Am I correct in that the upper spring is he shorter of the two and the curve on the ends twist in different directions and the bottom return spring is longer spring and the curved ends curve in the same direrection???

If so, they will NOT hold; could the curve/ spring worn enough that they won't go around the hole in the shoe and hold it, or could this be a issue of haveing a differernt brand brake shoe and it not working. They seem to be the same size as the old one (both in hole position and thickness of frame for the shoe.

I'm friggen stummped and worn out; ANY help would be appreciated,,,especailly any pictures of the currect springs and set up for a 1976..

Thanks in advance for any help...

KCDC

Keith

My top spring is green and the hooks are opposite also it is shorter. The lower spring has the hooks both facing the same way . What I do is I attach the lower spring to the shoes BEFORE I put the shoes onto the backing plate. Hope this helps. My Z is a '73 but the brakes should be the same. Gary:classic:

My top spring is green and the hooks are opposite also it is shorter. The lower spring has the hooks both facing the same way . What I do is I attach the lower spring to the shoes BEFORE I put the shoes onto the backing plate. Hope this helps. My Z is a '73 but the brakes should be the same. Gary:classic:

Mine & half red half black on both springs. Thanks for the help now at least I'm sure the shorter spring goes to the top. Maybe my bottm one has streched out to much, because I pops back off when I try as you have explained...

Thanks again...

And here's the "together" picture from the 76 manual.

Thanks Mark! That's my set-up...

My lower spring was on the outside of the shoe however; the pic shows it on the inside!? I'll have to see what difference that makes.

As well w/the new wheel brak cyclinders I was thinking maybe them not being udjusted out yet might have some effect of the spring fitting snuggly??? I've never replace wheel cylinders before; who knew replace u-joints on half shafts would be easier than replacing the shoes...ughhh

Any feedback on the effect/ adjust of a new wheel cylinder would be welcomed...

Thanks again for the pics

My lower spring was on the outside of the shoe however; the pic shows it on the inside!? I'll have to see what difference that makes.

As well w/the new wheel brak cyclinders I was thinking maybe them not being udjusted out yet might have some effect of the spring fitting snuggly??? I've never replace wheel cylinders before; who knew replace u-joints on half shafts would be easier than replacing the shoes...ughhh