IGNORED

Help with fuel lines

commplexone

I am now certain that the person who owned my Z before me messed up on the fuel line installation. He ran all 1/4 inch rubber hose and the return line is plumbed up back into the filler some strange way. Anyways, i am going to drop my tank soon and do this all over. Can anybody here please diagram or explain to me how to run proper fuel lines?

first of all, what car are you referring to? What engine is in it? The fuel-injected engines use 8mm (5/16 inch) fuel lines. Be sure to use fuel injection fuel lines, not the regular low-pressure stuff. Also, there is usually a hard line (steel tube) that is used for the fuel return, and it goes back into the side of the fuel fuel tank. You'll see it when you service your fuel tank. It may be blocked, which is why the return line was re-routed.

While you are at it, replace all the rubber hoses that carry fuel. Any original ones must be way old & ready to split. Be aware that some of the fuel tank hoses have special bends that can't be easily duplicated.

Are there any other clues you can tell to help?

thx

I am now certain that the person who owned my Z before me messed up on the fuel line installation. He ran all 1/4 inch rubber hose and the return line is plumbed up back into the filler some strange way. Anyways, i am going to drop my tank soon and do this all over. Can anybody here please diagram or explain to me how to run proper fuel lines?

Gary , first of all be sure any on the hoses you use are for fuel and are rated for gasoline . Some times people will use heater hose or vacuum line. The return port on the tank is just above the supply port and by the sending unit for the gage. There is a small line that is supposed to lead to the evap tank that is located in back of the plastic finisher on the right side rear of the interior. This line should be connected to a 3 way valve up front just below the ignition coil. It is the fresh air return to the tank that supplies air when the fuel is removed and used . You will find three vent hoses that enter the cabin from the main tank and they are connected to the evap tank. Be careful not to kink the upper 5/8'' hose where it comes off the tank . Also take care when you disconnect the main filler hose. They are SPENDY ! Gary