IGNORED

Vaccuum advance placement

commplexone

After the post here and information i have received from others i have decided to just keep my vacuum advance hooked up. I do have a question tho... The vacuum advance from my distributor is hooked up directly to the balance tube. This is the way it was hooked up when i purchased the Z. It currently has dual 32/36 Dgv carb's on it and i was wondering if this vacuum advance placement is right or not. Should i be sending the vacuum advance directly to the carbs or is the balance tube the correct set up?

The normal hookup (for round-top SUs, '70-72) is to a nipple on the front carb body. I don't know if the DGVs have a vacuum port on the carb suitable for that, so the connection to the balance tube might be your only choice. I don't think that should cause any problems.

With the vac line connected to the manifold vacuum it will cause the vac advance to go to full advance when you start the engine and retard when you open the throttle, and the vacuum drops . So connected this way when you set the timing and the line is connected , you will not get any more advance other than the centrifugal advance . There is a guy you might ask this question . Kim Blough , He owns IDAHO Z CAR , and is real sharp on this stuff and will have an answer for your Weber's. 208 466-0004 I only have his personal email address , sorry . Gary

I have the Weber DGV carbs as well and I initially had the vacuum line connected ou to the manifold. I found my mistake while monitoring the pressure to the vacuum line on the carb....sure enough it was dropping way down when I opened up the throttle. There is in fact a place on the carbs for the vacuum line to be connected. It is on the front of the carbs just behind where they bolt up to the manifold. Weber recommends connecting it up to the front carb.