IGNORED

Trouble with timing please help

commplexone

I just purchased a 240z that is in good shape but the previous owner had it tuned really weird. It needed a new distributor so i dropped one in and cleaned the carbs up really well. It has the regular L24 motor but has been beefed up a little with dual webber dgv carbs and it runs like garbage. The timing is definately tweaked. I dont have a light and wont be getting one for a few weeks but does anybody have a suggestion on how to time it by ear? Any tips and tricks would help greatly. Thanks in advance!

The best suggestion I can offer, while you're waiting to purchase a timing light, is to buy a book on the basics of an engine and how to do a tune-up. Then buy either a factory service manual or the less expensive aftermarket shop manual....like a Haynes manual.

Tom

Was your "new" distributor an electronic type? The 79 & 80 280z distributors are good ones to use for an upgrade. If it was a used distributor make sure the mechanical advance is working correctly and not bound up. If the vacuum advance is being used make sure the diaphragm is not leaking.

A search will provide a lot more info on distributors and troubleshooting. A manual is also very helpful.

Good Luck