IGNORED

Steering clunk and Pulling Left 72 240Z

Miles

Steering clunk and Pulling Left 72 240Z

I have replaced the steering rack with a remanufactured unit from the Steering Store. The steering rack came with new inner tie rods. I have replaced the outer tie rod ends and ball joints. The car was aligned after the the parts were replaced.

There is still a clunk coming from the left inner tie rod where it connects to the steering rack when I have someone move the steering wheel back and fourth. The car still randomly pulls left. Sometimes it is a good tug to the left.

I have rechecked the upper and lower steering shaft U-joints and they are tight.

I placed my hand around the left inner tie rod connection and feel/hear a clunk when the steering wheel is turned right and left. Should there be any play at the inner tie rod connection?

Thanks

Miles

THe play should be VERY minimal if any. Sounds like your rebuilt unit was'nt rebuilt correctly.

What is the road like when it pulls to the left?? reason I ask is on the freeway my Z pulls according to the grade of the road. For instance, when I'm in the left (fast) lane and the road is angled down on the right (for water run-off) the car pulls to the right.

It also would'nt hurt to have the brakes checked out for drag. My right side brake pads drag some times and pull my car to the right.

Hope any of this helps,

Dave.

P.S. check out my new cowl hood that I just built. it's in my gallery and on the front page, waiting for aproval.

Usually it yanks hard left on rough roads or after hitting a bump. On smooth roads it may not show up or only slightly. I am also suspecting that my left caliper may hang up, but I have never had a caliper just start pulling while just cruzing. I did an adjustment on the booster push rod about two months ago ands now wonder if I have it adjusted out to where it is preloading the MC.

Thanks

Miles

Miles, there should be no play along the axis of the inner tie rod throughout its range of motion.

Have you jacked your car up, gripped the left tire at the 9 and 3 position, and moved it side to side and up and down? Do you have any play?

OK...here in left field where I've made almost every mistake possible....My memory's a little foggy, but I had a front end clunk about a year and a half ago. After replacing my front suspension I replaced the front strut insulator and perch incorrectly. This caused the spring to slightly rotate, generating a clunk sound on turning toward the affected side. Not sure if that's the case, but it's the closest I can come up with what may cause a front end clunk.

Bad Ball joints, tie rod ends and bad steering rack will cause front end wobble/vibration, wandering, shimmy etc. Stuck caliper will pull car to the affected side.

Of course, check your torque specs on all front end bolts, especially the strut housing to steering knuckle bolts. I vaguely recall a post 4 or so months ago about this one guy (can't recall the exact thread) who had a bad experience on a trip when his bolts fell out on a curvy road...I think it may have made a clunking noise as well.

Unfortunately, I'm not too much help with why your inner tie rod would clunk. In my recent 2-3 years experience with this car I don't think I've heard that problem. Sorry I'm not much more help.

Good luck,

Steve

I isolated the problem by having a freind move the steering wheel while I inspected the steering components. The connection between the outer tie rod and the rack (ball and socket) has a lot of slop in it even though all parts are new. I did some research and found that the most likely cause is that the connection at the ball and socket has to be tightened.

Also, I am going to recheck the calipers and the push rod adjustmnet one more time.

Thanks

Miles