IGNORED

More Electric Nightmares

Roujin

I think I won't be the only one to tell you that we've seen more than a few repairs done with Bondo/Bog that shouldn't have been done that way.

In fact, you'll find that most members flinch at the horror stories they've seen/read about.

It IS easier to "fix" it that way....but wrong, and those of us working on the Series I and II 240's are discovering just how much wrong it can be when what looks like a good survivor turns into a nightmare of cancerous holes everywhere.

This site, predominantly, has 240/260 and 280 members. We have a smattering of 280ZX and even 300 and 350 members, but unfortunately, not many.

The 280 is very similar in many ways to the 240, but the electrical system has been upgraded with various items. That makes it a bit more difficult for everyone here to troubleshoot. Toss in that yours is a 280 ZX and it gets even more difficult. Don't forget that by that time, there were numerous power options that weren't offered before and as such are totally unknown to the majority of us.

Be patient, and I'm sure we'll get someone to speak up and post answers.

As far as the white smoke, that being a prime indicator of water in the exhaust (steam), have you checked the radiator, not for water loss as that would be obvious, but for the possibility of bubbles coming up when you're revviing the car? If you do have bubbles in the water, they may even pop with a tinge of exhaust smoke (don't laugh, it happens), then you may definitely have a leak in the head gasket, or a crack into the water jacket around one of the pistons.

Get a compression test done on the 6 cylinders and post your findings on the condensation thread and you'll enlighten everyone as to what condition your cylinders are in. A blown head gasket is easily repairable, but there are a few other things that you'll want to do while you have the car disassembled that far.

HTH

E

Roujin , a bit more about the car year and options it has on it , being not a usa car you might have diffrent setups so far as options. I am refering to digital dash , and such. I assume when you said globes you mean the light housing itself? Or are you refering to the light switch ? A wise investment is a manual with a wiring diagram 10-20 bucks and it can help alot. Two things come to mind in reference to a switch being used in the ignition outside of stock, one its as a thieft kinda thing or two because someone did not want to replace an expensive switch or tried to fix and made it worse. Also is the car a manual or auto . Not terribly familar with the 280zx but all the info you can provide us will help things more .