IGNORED

KHGC110 240k GT

aarc240

Maybe it wasn't too clear..

the ONLY L series engines I have ever seen that manifold on or have ever seen documented as having that manifold were the L24's fitted in the 240K GT as delivered in Australia in early 1973.

The Skyline FSM shows different manifolds ranging from the basic L24 unit through twin side draft Hitachi but not that particular one we saw here.

The 240K GL FSM shows the basic L24 manifold only.

I too would love to get feedback from Europe, Britain and NZ.

Unless you also compare a Euro 73 GT to an Oz 73 GT to confirm that they started from the same point then a comparison of 74's won't mean anything.

So if a euro GT, badged as a GT wasnt the same as the aussie GT then are you saying its not a GT? I really dont get what you mean by that comment. Nissan sent different spec cars to different markets. If the GT to the UK didnt have the 'GT' manifold and springs, because Nissan badged it as a GT then it should still be considered a 240K GT.

But what I was getting at was that Nissan may have change the spec of the 1974 GT. Since we never had any in Aus we have nothing to compare a GL spec car to, apart from the 73.

If the Aus spec 74 GL is exactly the same as a Euro spec 74 GT then our GL's could be considered GT's badged as GL's, Regardless of what springs or manifolds they have.

The USA got a downgraded version of the 240Z, but it was still a 240Z.

So does anyone know the spec of a 74 240K GT and are they different to the 73.

This looks like the GT manifold. See how it sits the air cleaner further away from the rocker cover. This is from 1974 adverising material

http://www.datsun.de/assets/images/Datsun_240_K_GT_1974_05.jpg

This 240K GT looks like the GL intake manifold, Notice how the aircleaner sits closer to the rocker cover. This is from the German article, and appears to be a later 240K, judging by the latter style steering wheel.

http://www.datsun.de/assets/images/Test_Datsun_240K-GT_03.jpg

So it appears to me that Nissan stopped using the 'GT' manifold at some point on the GT.

source.

http://www.datsun.de/html/body_datsun_240_kgt.html

Right on the first one, you can see the swept curve in the front runners and the angle of geparture of those from the central chamber.

Wrong on the second pic, it's also a GT manifold.

Have a look at an L24 basic manifold and you will see that the front runners depart the central chamber directly forward parallel to the head.

Have a closer look at the pic and it is obvious that the front runner departs at an angle pointing towards the front centreline of the engine.

Compare it to the first and you can see that the angle is pretty much identical, allowing for different camera perspective.

Also the centre runners ARE longer than the basic L24 manifold in the pic.

Print it then accurately measure both the diameter of the radiator hose and the length of the centre runner.

Measure a real hose.

Divide the measured runner length by the measured (pic) hose diameter and multiply by the real hose diameter to get a very close approximation of the real runner length (this is a standard basic engineering technique called 'scaling').

The result is a figure some 15mm LONGER than the centre runner length of a basic L24 manifold as fitted to a GL.

Given the two clues above it's pretty safe to conclude that the second pic is also of a 'GT' manifold.

Why would Nissan drop the GT manifold here?

I would think the amount of resistance to the idea that a GL is not a GT would wise people up.

If you had a GT in England and saw advertising from Oz for a GL you would quite reasonably assume it was a down spec car.

If you then discovered it had exactly the same fit-out including performance parts then you would be pissed off (and rightly so).

I wouldn't fret over it though, after all who else in the world has a 6 cylinder 240K GL? Ours is a common ol' GT as marketed in several countries.

i reply despite the wise adage that states that winning an argument on the internet is like being in the special olympics: even if you win, you're still retarded

your ridicule of my statement about a change in intake manifold vendor reveals your willfull or congenital ignorance of anything that challenges your agenda that your gt badge car is something more than it is: a misbadged aussie gl

it's badge engineering plain and simple, and if the same scenario happened today, nissan australia would've already recalled the early cars to install the correct badging LOL

seriously, we're not talking about a kiwi 1200 sss where nissan nz decided to badge a few homologated cars as sss when nissan never badged any sunny chassis sss, only bluebird and violet models

you're not selling your findings to a few teens at a car meet, you're publishing them on a world forum, so unless you want to come off sounding like a madman, you'd better know and respect the basic guidelines in the jdm and other export markets, that gl = 4cyl and gt = 6cyl :stupid:

Ridicule? Sorry if that's what you assume is the case when I pointed out that Nissan made the manifolds and still does.

Um, recall and rebadge? Not likely unless they wanted to get into all sorts of fun with law suits.

I doubt there are too many mugs out there who would happily accept ANY manufacturer telling them "so sorry old boy, we really didn't sell you an XYZ Super Wazoo for lots of money, we really sold you an XYZ Wazoo that isn't kitted out as well and we are going to take the Super off it whether you agree, like it, or anything else"

The software industry might get away with that sort of garbage but try it an a man's car and see what happens. He OWNS that thing and by golly, it better be exactly what he thought he was getting or someones gonna lose his cojones real quick.

I agree that in JDM and other markets where the 240K was sold the 6 cylinder is a GT. There is even that distinction clearly made on the front cover of the Factory Service Manual (quote "Datsun 240K GT 180K 160K")

In the Australian market the majority of these cars were 6 cylinder GL and it was Nissan's choice to do so. Again that is clearly stated on the front of the FSM "Datsun 240K GL"

Interesting the statement that the 4 cylinder was a GL in other markets. The factory manual doesn't mention it.

In fact according to the FSM 'Model Variation' table there isn't any such thing as a 4 cylinder hardtop either.

As that FSM was published in June 1974 there may well have been changes after that (and AFTER Nissan started badging sixes as GL's in Australia)

I would be interested to see proof of '240K GL' badges from any source that refutes the information shown in the parts list at Section 353-1 and 353-2 where NISSAN states "FOR AUSTRALIA" over each image of a 240K GL badge and alongside the listing for each of those badges.

Like it or not, there ARE differences in the GL and GT variants. We own one of each in hardtop and a GL 4dr.

The GL hardtop doesn't perform as well as the GT hardtop but that can be mostly attributed to the diff ratio.

For some reason known only to Nissan the GT got a 3.9 ratio where the GL has the 3.545 which the FSM's say BOTH sholud have had.

Is the GT better than the GL? No, they are just different.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14128&highlight=badged

I still maintain the decision (or change in direction) to go with "GL" badges("G" in Skyline code means 6 cylinder) in lieu of "GT",was a product of a combination of events, fuel crisis, the aftermath and fallout of the "Bathurst super cars" scare (if you do your homework you'll discover Evan Green was simply the original messenger there...not an instigator by any means. "MILTON MORRIS" NSW Transport Minister (May, 1965-January, 1975) was the real culprit!) June 25th 1972 musta been a slow news day...Greens' story on the "160mph factory supercars!" got the headline that day, and infamy followed. Anyway, have a read of the other thread, and dig up the magazines of the time, there was definitely some back pedalling going on...interesting parts variation though...heh! this'll never be overROFL

My research is leading me down the same path. That the Aussie GL is the same as the euro GT. I have been in contact with the owner of an original 1974 240K GT from the UK. It has its original engine, and is fitted with the same manifold as the Aussie GL. I've looked through the japanese engine manuals, and it seems to me that the Manifold that was on the first batch of GT's that was sent to Australia was discontinued in Feb 1973, and replaced with the standard manifold for 3/1973, though I dont have an Aussie Service manual so I cant do any more investigating at the moment.

I was already aware of that thread and can only say that all it adds is more supposition without facts to back up the assumptions.

"GL" badges("G" in Skyline code means 6 cylinder)

Seems like your interpretation of the factory codes and Nissan's are rather seperated.

See the attached images scanned from the Factory Service Manual for the Datsun Model C110

Maybe Nissan wasn't reading from the same script 'cause they think that G stands for long wheelbase and H stands for L24!

As a matter of interest the FSM for the Datsun HGC110 series titled "Datsun 240K GL" defines exactly the same codes.

I still maintain the decision (or change in direction) to go with "GL" badges("G" in Skyline code means 6 cylinder) in lieu of "GT",was a product of a combination of events, fuel crisis, the aftermath and fallout of the "Bathurst super cars" scare

I thoroughly agree.

(if you do your homework you'll discover Evan Green was simply the original messenger there...not an instigator by any means. "MILTON MORRIS" NSW Transport Minister (May, 1965-January, 1975) was the real culprit!) June 25th 1972 musta been a slow news day...Greens' story on the "160mph factory supercars!" got the headline that day, and infamy followed.

Homework isn't a problem.

You see, I was actually around at the time, already a young adult, a qualified tradesman and deeply involved in motorsport.

Morris would have been nothing more than another windbag in Parliament had it not been for Green who had ALREADY been creating trouble with his stirring.

Anyway, have a read of the other thread, and dig up the magazines of the time, there was definitely some back pedalling going on...interesting parts variation though...heh! this'll never be overROFL

I already have copies of those mags (in fact my copies of Wheels March 1973 and Sports Car World April 1973 are the originals I bought new from the local newsagent).

Lots of confusion, plenty of windy wordage in the articles and really skimpy on facts.

post-10015-14150798604845_thumb.jpg

post-10015-1415079860533_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150798605718_thumb.jpg

My research is leading me down the same path. That the Aussie GL is the same as the euro GT. I have been in contact with the owner of an original 1974 240K GT from the UK. It has its original engine, and is fitted with the same manifold as the Aussie GL. I've looked through the japanese engine manuals, and it seems to me that the Manifold that was on the first batch of GT's that was sent to Australia was discontinued in Feb 1973, and replaced with the standard manifold for 3/1973, though I dont have an Aussie Service manual so I cant do any more investigating at the moment.

Aus FSM won't help much as it refers ONLY to the '240K GL' and shows the basic manifold.

I would be very interested to get some scans of documentation that actually shows that the manifold was discontinued in 3/1973.

Have a look at your first link posted above - it appears that we have a German market publication from 1974 that refutes that!

Just an idle thought...

In other markets such as Europe and Britain, Nissan wouldn't have fitted one manifold to the hardtop and a different one to the sedan, would they?

Or maybe associated with a different transmission option?

Are there any British or European members out there who can post some photos of their engine together with some documentation like model code and build date?