Wacky Tach - Page 3 - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Wacky Tach

Featured Replies

I recently bought a 74 260Z from a friend and it has a few mechanical problems but nothing major. Until I saw your post I was puzzled by the action of the tach. It pegs, floats or is dead at any given time. can you elaborate on cleaning the optical sensor. I havent gotten a good manual yet. The chilton I have doesn't mention it Thanks. Mark

p.s. 1st post

  • Author
I recently bought a 74 260Z from a friend and it has a few mechanical problems but nothing major. Until I saw your post I was puzzled by the action of the tach. It pegs, floats or is dead at any given time. can you elaborate on cleaning the optical sensor. I havent gotten a good manual yet. The chilton I have doesn't mention it Thanks. Mark

p.s. 1st post

I really don't know anything about 260Z's. If they have an electronic ignition, I don't know if it uses an optical sensor or not. The problem that I had with the Pertronix was that the ring around the magnets, that slips over the distributor post was dirty and interferring with the signal. You might want to thoroughly clean inside your distributor. If that does not solve your problem (I am guessing it won't) at least you will have a clean distributor.

In the end, I went with a rebuilt ZX distibutor and I have been happy with it.

Marty

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.