IGNORED

Main cap

RsKar

Have a L28 - F54 block with an E31 at 13:5 compression, cosworth pistons, etc. etc. Broke the crank (right behind the last journal, so, the head is intact) and the #6 main cap, block has some blueing due to heat in that one journal. Now the question is, without having to toss an extremely well prepped block, what are my options? Having trouble locating a main cap to begin with, so I'm thinking of making 1,2,3,5 & 6 main caps of billet steel. If someone has a main cap, that would be great as the plan then would be to shot peen all the caps, line bore, cross-drill and balance the crank. Head would get new valves, springs, etc.

I have an entire set from an F54 block that you can have, left you a PM.

IMHO shot peening them is not nessesary, plus I wonder what it will do to the skirt clearances, which are tight to begin with.

This could snowball into a lenghtly discussion, but I also wonder if cross drilling the crank is really necessary? I used to hang out with an old-timer who prepared a CP 280Z back in the late 70's-early 80's, and he said they had bone stock crank, complete with the brass plugs, which regularly saw 9500 rpm, with zero issues. Maybe they were just lucky, or maybe his memory is a bit hazy, hey, it was the 70's...