IGNORED

competition hood interest?

mikemeade

Guys

Sorry I never posted back about the hood bulge but the mold is done and I have recieved the first part and we modified it slightly so it could be mounted easier. I am currently working on the pricing which I hope will be very fair. Please contact us at Classic Datsun if you are still interested.

Thank You 760-940-6365

Les

• 3 months later...

Les at Classic Datsun came through and has released a reproduction of the Competition Hood Vent. I'm not sure if I'm the first, but I just received one. The quality looks to be very good.

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

There's a flange bonded to the bottom of the vent for mounting. There were no threaded inserts molded into the flange, so I used some 1/4-20 clip-on nuts that I found at Napa:

94850a150p1l.png?ver=19733236

http://www.motortopia.com/files/11549/album_datsuncompetitionhoodvent/4de244c13a1de/IMG_3382.jpg

Here you can see that the entire length of the engine can be opened up for venting:

IMG_3373.jpg

The vent matches the contours of the hood very well. Other than some scuffing and minor sanding for paint, no work needs to be done to make it fit. I wish I could say the same about the hood, but it was free.

IMG_3365.jpg

Mounting holes drilled:

IMG_3366.jpg

Next step is the cutout in the hood, which I should be doing today.

Nigel

I finished the hole yesterday. Note, you can only cut back to about 6" from the rear of the hood before the hood frame gets in the way. All it needs now is some paint. BTW, the vent is not on the Classic Datsun website. I paid $175 + shipping for mine.

IMG_3397.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I finished installing the hood this past weekend. The vent was a piece of cake to mount on the hood, but getting the hood on the car turned out to be an unexpected nightmare! I'll save that story for later though.

I've painted the hood and vent satin black for now, because it was quick and easy to do, but I'll probably have them painted white to match the rest of the car when I have the whole car repainted next year.

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982sml.jpg

IMG_0991sml.jpg

Nigel

'73 240ZT

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice looking piece. I just spoke to Les, and I'm going to be buying one from him. They are made per order, so be aware of a possible small delay.

He's looking into having mine done in CF for me. I will report back here once I hear back on the cost.

~joel